TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: why only native - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Kevin - 2007-11-10
Re: why only native - Teachers Discussion

Well, it's true enough that there is a boat load of discrimination in terms of the hiring of English teachers in China. Of course there are exceptions, but I think we can all agree that there is a general desire to hire young, white native speakers. In many cases they are hired instead of someone who has better qualifications and more experience, be that person white and middle aged or older, a non-native speaker, or of a color or race that doesn't quite fit the profile of what the administrators of the school perceive will bring them the most bucks.

However, I think it's interesting to note that there is a change coming. I see it in small ways. Not in terms of hiring non-native speakers, which is not something that's going to change any time soon - unfortunately. No, the change I see coming is that of simply hiring unqualified teachers no matter what their race or color or age. Students are of course lied to about these teachers. They're told about these wonderful foreign teachers and all of their glowing qualifications, which is basically a crock. But fortunately students are getting smarter or more aware and will soon be demanding more for their buck. Of course this situation will change more slowly in the private sector, but I believe that in the public sector, especially in universities, we'll start noticing the change pretty soon. As I said, I see it in small ways already. I've been here more than four years now and I see a growing frustration that will hopefully change things.

Part of the problem is the loop holes that Raoul Duke and others have pointed out. There are laws in place, but the laws are often open to interpretation. Basically, it could be said that the law states that teachers "should" have a degree, but if the hiring body perceives the teacher to be qualified without it then they can go ahead and hire said teacher. I believe, or I hope anyway, that the loopholes will be closed. Students aren't the only ones with a growing frustration - qualified and well experienced teachers are sharing that frustration. If I told you what's happening at my university, you'd be shocked - a couple of dozen teachers and only a few qualified enough to be there. The grumbling has begun but, interestingly, the administration scarcely notices it - not yet anyway.

#2 Parent Jemon Mamar - 2007-11-08
Re: why only native - Teachers Discussion

Recently, I was browsing the internet if there are available jobs for me as an English teacher in East Asian countries, but to my surprise there are very few who welcome non-native English speakers - and to tell you, they are VERY, VERY RARE - and if there is any, the salary offer to non-Native English speakers is at minimum of 3200 RMB and maximum of 4000RMB per month compare to Native English speakers with a maximum monthly salary at around 12000RMB. I was really frustrated when I experienced that discrimination. Why? Are Filipinos not better compare to their Western counterparts? Why then there are lots of South Koreans visiting the Philippines to learn English language?
Is it through the color of one's skin or the kind of passport he has that determines the person's competence in the English language? Oh c'mon!!! I can't believe it that our fellow Asians are discriminating us!
Fortunately, I was able to procure a job in Saudi Arabia as an English language teacher. And to tell you, Arabians have high regards for us Filipinos!

Return to Index › Re: why only native - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -