TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Do I need another degree/certification?
#1 Parent Dr. Yanni Zack - 2007-12-07
Re: Do I need another degree/certification?

Nicole,
In order to teach at a Community College in the ESL Department, you will need to have a MA in TESOL.
Some community college districts will look at your experience; however, if another candidate has the MA in TESOL, they will be considered first.
Having the MA in TESOL allows you to teach full time at a Community College and part-time as an adjunct Instructor for a University.

Nicole - 2007-12-07
Do I need another degree/certification?

I'm interested in teaching ESL at an American community college or at local university ESL program. I'm not sure if I need to go back to school for another degree or certification. I have a master's degree in Higher Education Administration and have about eight years of experience working in student affairs. Prior to this, I taught English in Japan right out of undergrad and worked as an English tutor in a university ESL program. I also did some volunteer work with English tutoring. Unfortunately, I've been out of this for 8 years.

Do you think I need to go back to school for a TESOL certification or degree or will my master's and other experience qualify me for a job?

Thanks!
Nicole

Return to Index › Do I need another degree/certification?

Go to another board -