TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › a highly-recommended survey course
#1 Parent Hubub - 2008-01-11
Re: a highly-recommended survey course

Hobart is for the most part right. While I have encountered some good people, the vast majority working in the ESL world have been the exact opposite. self serving and incredibly greedy.

If they make a thousand you'll be luck to make 50, and if you ask for a 100, your outta there and on to the next sucker with no spine who will accept 50 for a time.

I have recently went to two schools myself looking for work. Both would give me no details about the job, wanted me to do free demo classes, and then would discuss "pay" with me. When I argued that I could not possibly know if I even wanted to come in and teach two hours for free if I knew nothing about the job I never heard back from them.

This is mostly what you will find here in China, don't be fooled by clever ads. This is no tourist paradise, and even if it were, you ain't here as a tourist.

Korea from what I have heard isn't much better, but at least you'll get paid a hell of a lot more. My advice, stay home.

hobart - 2008-01-11
a highly-recommended survey course

To those ESL teachers presently in their home countries pondering the possibility of teaching and living in mainland China, I urge you to review these recent threads involving recruiter/managers "Candy," Lynn," and "Mandy." These people (and their ridiculous, but illuminating posts) are a shining example of what and who you likely face when you come here.

Trained and qualified foreign teachers are constantly being put in a position to work with incompetent, racist, and completely unqualified people such as these... The ESL world of mainland China is loaded to the max with such types. They will make your working life miserable, offer no academic or professional support, and will likely cause numerous obstacles and problems due to almost complete lack of integrity, ethics, and a huge measure of self-serving greed.

When you finally cry "enough!" after being lied to and deceived repeatedly, they will say that YOU disrespect China! It's all so laughable, but take heed BEFORE you get on a plane. China is a landmine of ESL trouble.

Return to Index › a highly-recommended survey course

Go to another board -