TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › advice for getting out of bad school
#1 Parent barry - 2008-01-22
Re: advice for getting out of bad school

you even need to ask this question? open suitcase, put in things you own. close suitcase, walk out door...duh

Michelle - 2008-01-22
advice for getting out of bad school

Okay, heres my situation if any one has advice I would be happy to hear. I arrived in Korea on the 2nd of December and started work for this school on the 3rd. Not long after did I realise I have been placed in a school with a very bad reputation. I discovered the school had changed its name and found a post on the net warning about it under its previous name but exact address. I have spoken to five previous employees who have been done out of 4million won at the end. The boss apparently doesnt pay the last pay check or severance. The school is very cold, dindgey and doesnt have many students. The girl whom I replaced is returning to take the school to the Labor Board. I have been offered another position at this very bad school who are aware that I am in a bad school and said I will have no problem if I go and apply for a new visa and leave this one. They are doing all they can to help. They say I dont need a letter of release because they rang immigration to confirm. However it would mean me uping and leaving here. The boss has witheld two weeks of my pay so he already has my flight money compensation. The thing is I've been advised by everyone to get out now as I will end up in financial difficulty the longer I stay. I came to pay off student loans so this worries me.
However I do like the kids- even though there is only around 30 kids at my school. I would feel bad about upping and leaving but all the stories I hear about my boss being so unfair to past employees make me question my moral obligation. This other school seem so much better run and more trustworthy, plus my hours are less and it is a clean and warm school and I dont need to worry about getting screwed over in the end.
My other option is to stick it out at this bad school but it would mean me having to buy a flight back to the country when my contract is up and I need to do the inevitable in fighting for my last salaries.
Any suggestions on how to get out??

Return to Index › advice for getting out of bad school

Go to another board -