TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?
#1 Parent SENIOR LAO SHI - 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?

But this is what I've observed I have been in China for three years now. At times the non- natives are more dedicated teachers than native speakers. The reason, they have to show their worth constantly or else, they might get replaced in a jiffy! It must be very hard to compete with all these white faces around. Schools are also stricter to NNS they have to have a Uni diploma, TESOL certificate, some teaching experience in order for them to land a job. How lucky we are (us NS) for we don't have to have all of these to teach and live large here in China. I am hoping that some other NS could show the same dedication as our NNS friends.

Bless your hearts.

#2 Parent pinayinchina - 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?

Thank you Shanon. I agree that we should just do our
own business. Let the Chinese schools decide who is better...
Let us just do our job as a teacher.

Shanon - 2008-01-23
Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?

"Some people are just so insecure that many Filipinos and Africans are succesful in China, as ESL teachers." I am from Ohio, and I have a high respect to these people, they may not be as good as the other native speakers but they are capable and talented. I've worked with them, I should know. It's true, it is the institution's prerogative, so whats the big deal? Feliza's right, China is a big country! Let us just do our jobs. This discussion will lead us to nowhere. One piece of advice "live and let live" and I agree- stop fussing.

Return to Index › Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?

Go to another board -