TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (Bartofink)
#1 Parent bartonfink - 2008-01-27
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (Bartofink)

What would be the point of making them talk and talk if they're just going to do it incorrectly? I dont see how that would help them. If this really works, why even bother having a teacher around? They could talk till they all run out of breath but it still wouldn't make them better English speakers without proper grammar and pronunciation. It would be like a dentistry student playing around with his patient's teeth without proper instruction from his professors and hoping that he'll eventually just get it right on his own.

I agree that learning proper grammar is an arduous task, but it seems like your approach is to just not bother. Allow me to make another slightly off-topic analogy. Would you give up on a child with special needs just because you think he won't get it anyway? I hope not. I hope that you would do whatever you could to teach him. Take baby steps if necessary but keep trying.

Look, we know that none of these ESL students are going to be the next Hemingway, but that doesn't mean teachers should be giving sub par efforts. Teachers need to take more pride in their work. It doesn't help anyone if teachers are just going to ignore their students' deficiencies and continue to let them speak poor English. It'll only make things worse and makes both teachers and students look bad to other English speakers.

I do agree though that learning English is a two-way street and that students have to be willing to learn and make an effort. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Oftentimes students are just as much to blame as the teachers.

#2 Parent r_sphynx - 2008-01-26
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (Bartofink)

exactly! two thumbs up!

It is true that learning English should focus on allowing students to speak out their minds without correcting their grammar and pronunciation. Allowing students to express themselves, sharing their ideas, giving their opinions, talk to peers, discuss class topics, debates and what not, will enable students to develop and enhance their fluency of the English language. Learning English grammar/pronunciation is a very rigid and arduous task for a teacher. It takes a lot of years to learn that. It also takes a good English environment at home (which is close to impossiblity) for students to practice the language. Soon, students get to learn the correct grammar, enunciation, pronunciation as they get to learn it in the classrooms. Conscious effort and personal attitude towards English accuracy must be individually practiced.

Together we work for excellence in teaching and learning English!

:)

Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (Bartofink)

Go to another board -