TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: reporting msconduct, falsifying resume
#1 Parent Trygia B. - 2008-02-16
Re: reporting msconduct, falsifying resume

Thanks for the response, Yingwen. You sound like a professional/expert and very experienced. Are you a director or head of Foreign Language, by any chance?
It has been horrible for me., a nightmare. The FT is from USA, and I am currently living in the USA. That is why I cannot find anyone to at least just notify of the situation. He did sign a specific contract stating he cannot date Chinese students.
Also, in America, teachers do not party with their students and buy drinks and get them drunk. Is there no conflict of interest over there? All I want to know is who to contact or how.

#2 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2008-02-16

There is no less vice and sexual shenanigans in China than there is in the West. The difference here is that generally those in responsible positions/ positions of power etc. tend to be much more discreet and a lot less open about it than Westerners.

I remember speaking to a dean in a previous college that I taught in, where an FT was given an awful time because he was to open about his relationship with a student. The dean told me that anything was acceptable (I assume he was talking about his college) as long as you were discreet about it. His words, not mine. If a teacher is having a discreet relationship with a student from another department in the college or a language school, where neither party or other students are distracted from their work or study, and no abuse is taking place, I don't think it's correct to denounce that teacher as unprofessional. Nor do I think it correct for a colleague to tell the leaders about it.

However, it would be a different case entirely if that FT was specifically told at the beginning of the term, before he signed his contract, that such relationships were not tolerated by the school leaders. Discreet or not, by blatantly crossing clearly defined boundaries that FT cannot expect much sympathy when "caught" and pulled up about it.

Again if an FT was using a school as a harem, and picking students like you might pick flowers, then he's definitely crossed professional boundaries. I don't think teacher/student relationships are bad in themselves. It depends on the individuals, how they conduct themselves, and the type of relationship that they have.

After hearing more about your situation Trygia, I sympathize with you. Your case is obviously more personal than most. Because of that I don't really know what to say to you. Again I don't know ALL the details, and I don't expect you to post them on a public forum either. I just hope you can resolve the situation as best you can without much more harm to yourself. If they're being so open about the relationship, I find it almost impossible to believe that the school doesn't know about it. Public schools, especially, usually crack down hard on things like this especially if it involves FTs. Is the teacher Chinese? Do you work for a private school?

It could be that your school knows about it and has already given them warnings about it. Sometimes to save face and inconvenience, schools in China won't act until the end of the contract, where at such time they will simply not offer the "offender" another contract. If they do know about it, but don't care at all, it might be a good idea for you to find a better school to work for. You seem remarkably distant from your FAO. Usually they're not much further away than a simple phone call or a short walk to their office.

#3 Parent Trygia B. - 2008-02-15

I am sure learning a lot about China. Polar opposite views from many of you. It isn't my duty: I have been shattered and humiliated and betrayed by someone who does not deserve to be paid and have a job and by someone who is a complete jerk taking advantage of China in every way, cheating everyone out. I would like to see justice.Thanks for not judging me. I am curious now how China actually runs things. It's been a learning experience.

Return to Index › Re: reporting msconduct, falsifying resume

Go to another board -