TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Worst Experience Ever!
#1 Parent Gareth - 2008-04-05
Re: Worst Experience Ever!

Whenever I move to a new city I go to a pub and find a local teacher, they usually know all about the other schools in the area. I have found that teaching for a university is better. They will usually try it on with you but you are fairly safe with salary and visas. Private schools are usually run by greedy business men who [sometimes] consider foreigners as cash cows. But if it is safety you want, try to find a big chain of private schools, I have heard good things about Aston, English first, and Web International. Any school that has any western managers or owners are usually ok. The most important thing for me is STAY CALM. Losing your temper just doesnt work. Things happen slowly and usually sub standard here but they have a way of working out in the long run. Just dont expect them to respond to our way of doing things. They will cut their nose of to spite their face EVERY TIME.

#2 Parent Mr. D - 2008-04-04
Re: Worst Experience Ever!

Read as much as you can before you come.
Both the US and Canadian Embassies have information on their websites also.

Contract: Make sure your contract spells out your salary, housing, medical insurance,
number of teaching hours, and airline
tickets.

Culture: I believe Korean food is for
too spicy and very limited when
compared with Western dishes. Western
food is limited and expensive.
Many Koreans outside Seoul do not chose
to or know how to speak English well.

Tips: Get a business card wherever you
go. Then simply give that to the taxi
driver when you want to go back.

Good Luck!

Mr. D

Billy - 2008-03-26
Worst Experience Ever!

Dear colleagues
Great posts so far. I've enjoyed learning plenty from this forum already.

I hope you don't mind me changing the topic for a second and throwing some short questions out there - amongst the masses of newbies and seasoned "old timers".

I'm considering applying for a teaching job in korea soon and would like to find out as much as possible before excepting a job (haven't been there before). I'm trying to find out as much as possible first.

If as many people as possible could spare a couple of minutes to reply to the following questions, I'd be very grateful......and more decided.

* what problems did/do you experience while working and living overseas?

* what are the main/consistant problems you face during a teaching day?

* how did/do you overcome the above?

and.......(this is a question for the old timers ;)

* what subject do you always find yourself checking out first on forum boards such as this slendid one?

Hope that didn't come across like some market research survey or something..hehe

All the best

Return to Index › Worst Experience Ever!

Go to another board -