TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: ESl Missionaries
#1 Parent Gingermeggs - 2008-05-22
Re: ESl Missionaries

Yes, thinking later, I realised that this is true, but that point was only one of Roger's red herrings. I didn't jump on him in my original OP for that. It was for using adverbs and verbs to qualify a noun!
I'm glad you enjoy these little spats. Makes a change from reading about Frank Zhang!!

#2 Parent who cares - 2008-05-22

Sorry Ginger, you're way off the mark on this one. Adverbs are commonly and quite frequently used to modify adjectives.
I think you'll need to admit defeat on this point and move on. I do enjoy your ongoing repartee with Roger -truly interesting actually, so just accept that you've lost this particular battle but that there will be more to come.

#3 Parent Gingermeggs - 2008-05-21

Ahh! Roger the Linguist! Do you actually teach your students this kind of rubbish! Perhaps, rarely, an adverb does qualify an adjective, but, off the top of my head I can't think of any. But, that is beside the point. You are using an adjective, and a verb, to qualify a noun!! You could have, correctly, used two adjectives!
" egregious, stereotypical comments". Hopelessly overblown prose, but, nevertheless, grammatically correct.

Return to Index › Re: ESl Missionaries

Go to another board -