TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Frauds and Scams - ESL discussion *Link*
#1 Parent Caroline - 2008-07-15
Re: Bank Info - ESL discussion

Yes, I just got lured into the same trap. Evidently there is a cheque for $4000 en route to me as I type this. I am to deduct my share and return the remainder once it clears. Then a daughter is to arrive on Thursday from France for me to teach.
I plan to take said cheque ( should it ever actually arrive) to my bank and inform them of my suspisions. I do not want that thing going near my account unless it actually clears. I am wondering if what I should do is turn it over to the police? Do you think they would even care?

The tag they are using me with is "Tancy Clarence", fyi...

#2 Parent Sharanga - 2005-06-28
That's right - ESL discussion

Yes, they expect you to accept the cheque in good faith and make the funds available to them through Western Union immediately. In fact, they'll start pressurising you to release the funds before the cheque is cleared. And of course, the cheque will bounce in the end, but by then it will be too late for you.

This is an age-old scam that has claimed many victims who let down their guard while expecting to make a quick buck.

You can tell by the language of the letters they send you. It is a flowery, unnatural English that is typical of all these con artists operating with African addresses.

YOu advertise a tennis ball on a garage sale site, and you'll have these jokers writing to you in their trademark English, offering to send you thousand dollar cheques and asking you to send just five hundred back to them by Western Union...

#3 Parent Old Spice - 2005-06-21
Bank Info - ESL discussion

...or maybe they can get your banking info from the returned check and clean out your bank account....be careful....be very, very careful.
Cheers.

#4 Parent Kevin O'Brien - 2005-06-21
Maybe

Good guess. There's no way in hell I would send a payment without the funds clearing. They've got to know that. Maybe thats it maybe there's another trick.

#5 Parent Ann-Toe-Knee - 2005-06-21
PT was right - ESL discussion

PT Barnum was right. And he will always be right. Unfortunately, the world is full, and will always be full, of naive consenting adults who don't think twice before walking merrily into these types of traps.

I just don't get it.

#6 Parent The Owl - 2005-06-20
From experience - ESL discussion

My guess: The check will not clear. They just want a receive Western Union payment.

#7 Parent Kevin O'Brien - 2005-06-20
How does this scam work - ESL discussion *Link*

Thanks Owl.

I'm trying to figure out how it works. If they send a check and the funds clear how do they make a profit. What information are these people after to make money. I gave them my address to send the check to - I hope that didnt screw me up.

#8 Parent The Owl - 2005-06-20
Of course it is a fraud - ESL discussion

Of course Kevin this is a fraud. Please stay away from these things. The internet is full of things like these.

> I've received commitments from two parties from Europe who want me to
> instruct their kids. Both have the same request - to send me a big
> check, take my cut, and then refund the difference to another party
> via Western Union. Has anyone run across this situation. It seems
> odd. Thanks.

> Kevin

Kevin O'Brien - 2005-06-20
Frauds and Scams - ESL discussion *Link*

I've received commitments from two parties from Europe who want me to instruct their kids. Both have the same request - to send me a big check, take my cut, and then refund the difference to another party via Western Union. Has anyone run across this situation. It seems odd. Thanks.

Kevin

Return to Index › Frauds and Scams - ESL discussion *Link*

Go to another board -