TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Hengshui
Bill Doohan - 2008-08-01
Hengshui

I recently made a Mongolian friend on-line, in the hope of forming a relationship. It took me a while to convince her that I was not Chinese. She then mentioned that she was prepared to have a relationship with any nationality except for Chinese, explaining that she found them impolite, dirty and selfish.
I understand that neighboring countries always have some sort of nationalistic rivalry be it extreme: India and Pakistan, moderate: South Korea and Japan, or friendly: Australia and New Zealand. What struck me about this however, was that she singled out the Chinese over the Russians. I have worked in both countires and have found the Russians to be much more impolite, and selfish. However she was very adamant that the Chinese had too many negative traits, and even expressed no desire to travel to the country.

I also recently talked to a Cameroonian friend, who is well educated and open minded, go on a rant to me about how the Chinese are ruining his country. He explained how many Chinese arrive as merchants with cheaper Chinese products and destroy the local economy by selling the products at a price the Cameroonian companies cannot afford to. He also complained how they refused to learn the lingua-franca of Cameroon, and showed no interest in the country other than exploiting it.

Further more I was recently reading an article about a small town in Kyrgyztan. In it the writer mentioned how one of the few forms of entertainment is throwing rocks as the Chinese merchants driving through the town.

Am I to assume that the Chinese will soon become the most despised nationality in the world? Will they be despised more than the loud Americans? The snooty French? The photo-snapping Japanese?

Return to Index › Hengshui

Go to another board -