TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › AGE Factor
#1 Parent The Observer - 2004-12-07
hi falutin

a) the original poster mentioned China in his enquiries.

b) you didn't. he did.

c) you're making me dizzy.

d) truce?

#2 Parent esl in asia - 2004-12-06
The ageist Asians

As for Japan, where I work, age is a factor over 30. That being said, it is possible to work freelance or find some part-time work. But you must bring enough to live on until you find work. Dont expect a school to sponsor you if you are over 35. I am the old age of 39 and when I was 38 I tried to find work in Japan.

I have a CELTA teaching certificate and I had one year of ESL teaching experience before I applied to Japan. No one, and I mean no one, was even interested in a face-to-face interview. I dont think it was my resume, as I had it checked and everything was par for the industry. It could only mean my age.

However, I took a chance and came to Japan with NO job offer and spent my own savings (I took $6,000 and spent $4,000). I actually found work teaching old Japanese housewives English for $30/hr. The only problem for me is its boring as hell (you can only talk about food for so long!!!).

Anyway, my point is that you need to have your own money saved up and come over and look yourself. You will find work but it will be hard to find a private school. I am ONLY speaking of Japan and NOT China. China is probably not as ageist as Japan. In Japan they want a young, white monkey to dance and sing in class. You are not a teacher but a performer, which is why they have the age limit of the ripe old age of 30-35.

My advice is to try China and go if AND ONLY IF, you have money saved up to live. Remember, China is cheap to live. You would not need that much saved to live on while you looked for work. Dont go to recruiters or rely on an overseas contract with a plane ticket. You just need to have your own cash to live on and then take your time to find the right gig. So many English teachers live one dime from poverty that they are always at the mercy of the schools. Bring enough to live for three months and a plane ticket back and you will be fine. Then, you will have the luxury to pick and choose and NOT BEG.

Good luck from another old man trapped in ESL

#3 Parent falutin - 2004-12-06
hi falutin

a) the original poster was not only inquiring about China.

b)I don't recall stating that 62 was old.

#4 Parent falutin - 2004-12-06
re The Observer

I disagree with your second point, although I can't speak specifically for China. Asian countries in general, including Japan, Korea, Thailand DO age discriminate, and you are unlikely to be hired from overseas, particularly by a language school. In person can sometimes make a difference. A better chance would be to go and start teaching privately. You just have to do the visa runs yourself.

#5 Parent The Observer - 2004-12-06
hi falutin

I'm not talking about "most Asian countries", whatever that means. I never mentioned Japan or Korea, and I personally don't care one fig about whatever might or might not be the case in those places.

I'm talking about CHINA, I quite specifically only mentioned CHINA, I have been here long enough to know that I am correct in what I say about employment at universities here , and if you think there is some generally observed law in CHINA that stipulates a cut-off age for foreign staff at universities here, not only are you entirely wrong, but the fact that you would even make such a ridiculous assertion shows that you have never even been here.

As for the private language schools, last time I was a DoS in one of those outfits IN CHINA, we had a person well into their 40's and another into their 50's on staff, and they were our most popular teachers.

I reiterate to the gentleman who made the original enquiry, if you are in good health there will be no legal barriers to your employment IN CHINA, and I am quite sure that you will easily find work here. You'd be far from the first person of your vintage to come here specifically to teach and seek new experiences. As if 62 is "old" anyway.

#6 Parent falutin - 2004-12-06
re the Observer

what you say about teaching in an academic school is university is not correct. Most asian countries have an age limit for employment. Usually 60. In Japan I believe it is lower still. Unfair? Yes.
And the reality of teaching esl is that most languages schools want to hire 20 to 40 year olds.

#7 Parent The Observer - 2004-12-06
Firstly I would disagree with anyone who says that salaries in China are not enough to sustain a comfortable lifestyle. As long as you have a look around and find something that is paying at least 5000rmb a month you will have a hard time spending yourself broke before payday and i assume that at the your age you would have seen enough in your life such that you probably wouldn't be needing to go in search of new social experiences on a nightly basis. (That would probably put one over the 5000 a month budget depending on the types of establishments one might be drawn.)

Secondly,as long as you are hale and hearty your age should not be a factor at all except perhaps for the occasional startup language mill who might be seeking youthful beauty over anything else to be used as bait with which to lure their clientelle. In fact, contrary to your worries, I thing that many institutions such as universities and schools here do tend to value the stability and patience that develops with maturity over the flightiness of youth, though anyone who has spent any time in a high school classroom here would probably recommend a university position as the best choice.

#8 Parent falutin - 2004-12-06
Bill, Paul has pointed you in the right direction.
My own understanding/experience/observation: It IS a factor against you, unfortunately, as far as applying from overseas to Asian schools. However, in person it can sometimes be a different story. Also, if you are willing to just go to one of these countries, you can, with any luck get work -even a lot of work, privately. You just have to do the visa run yourself every now and again. Thailand would seem the easiest for this. I don't know about China.

William Box - 2004-12-05
AGE Factor

Folks,

Wondering just how much weight is assigned to the AGE FACTOR by prospective employers?

I'll soon begin studying for my tesl/tesol certificate and hope to teach in Asia. Preferably in Japan or Korea. Perhaps China, however, I've heard that salaries there are not high enough to sustain a comfortable lifestyle.

I digress. I'm presently 62 years old and I've heard that most schools recruit young people almost exclusively. Any chance an OLD MAN might still get a decent job and contribute something before his demise?

If employment by one of the leading schools in an area is not a viable option, then what are the chances of one promoting himself? I.E., home based tutoring/schooling, etc.?

What say you?

Any input will be, as always, greatly appreciated.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Bill Box

Return to Index › AGE Factor

Go to another board -