TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › having landed on it, at least you can say it's been of some use to you.
#1 Parent The Observer - 2004-12-09
having landed on it, at least you can say it's been of some use to you.

Dear Paul,

If you can't cut it in China as a teacher and you are as down on yourself about that as you seem to be, then perhaps it's time some action was action to improve your circumstances. Life is just too short my friend. Let's face it, we all know that Chinese classrooms can be a real challenge for those serious about ESL pedagogy and the progress of their students, and those who do not have the flexibilty, the skill or the background to adjust their approach to accommodate what is a novel situation here might well find solace by forever casting aspersions upon those in all quarters bar the one they themselves are standing in.

It's true also that if you're not really too concerned about student progress for whatever reason, in many places you can get by here with a sense of humour and detachment, and the ability to keep the students and management in a state of friendly but marginal interest in your presence. It's really a waste of time getting upset about this! this situation certainly provides a great opportunity for those just testing the waters with regard to esl as a long term prospect, or for those just using it as an opportunity to gain some experience of china.

I can assure you Paul, that you have absolutely no idea about salaries for professionals in the esl field here (or even amateurs and those for whom the experience is only temporary), and i won't embarrass you or myself by saying any more than that. Let's just say that if you accept 4000rmb a month here and then complain about that, the more fool you for not realising that you have been the cause of your own troubles.

Really maybe it's better that you just leave quietly. People in the know here can see that there is a market niche starting to open up, which - if it does develop as hoped - will, in years to come, provide great oportunities for more of those with substantial in-country and esl background and experience (more opportunities than it does now that is), and i'm only replying to your nonsensical tirade because i didn't think it right that i just sit by and watch as someone as sad and embittered as you tries to dissuade any person from taking the first step in what might turn out to be a fruitful career in this country - and perhaps not specifically in esl.

Do you really think you "deserve" something from China yet? you have only just got here, you have given up, and now you are leaving.

Goodbye.

regards,

O.

p.s. good luck in your efforts to distance yourself from all us fools, and i mean that most sincerely!

Return to Index › having landed on it, at least you can say it's been of some use to you.

Go to another board -