TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Degrees
#1 Parent Observe This - 2004-12-28
And more advice

I know that people who really earned their degree will hate me when I say this. When I applied for my work visa, the immigration officer never did analyze it. I wasnt even told to get my degree notarized. In the US, you have to either notarize your degree or send transcripts to prove authenticity. None of this was even remotely done. That was pretty demoralizing because I actually have a real four-year degree from the US and it wasnt even authenticated.

In fact, I even know that people with just two-year degrees can be considered to have met the requirements. Some countries give a two year bachelors degree and call it a degree. In the US we call that an associates degree. Its hardly the same.

Dont worry; if youre a good teacher, a degree really isnt what Asians want. They want someone to perform on stage and teach them English in an enjoyable way. Its hardly rocket science. Hell, just read these post. You can pretty much guess what mental level you need to teach your native language. I think you are just fine. You have a CELTA which is probably 90 percent more than most yahoos teaching in Asia have. Believe me!!

Good luck and do what you got to do.if you know what I mean.
>\-|

#2 Parent Alex - 2004-12-27
Degrees

Thanks for the info guys. I need to save and so China wouldn't work. Maybe an internet print-off is an idea? Mmm.

Thanks,

Alex

#3 Parent Observe This - 2004-12-27
Thank you my good man

Ah yes, I did deign to enlighten you in the art of levity. I do unabashedly accept your meaningful accolades bestode upon me. Im so endeared to your tireless ruminations on this board that inspires so many budding English teachers.

Indeed, thank you for the proffer to lecture laity such as yourself in this field. I am profoundly amazed at your innate ability to converse so deeply and impart so much to all those on this board.

Yes, as honored as I am, I believe you need no guidance in this profession. Nay, I think you are a sure fit and lifelong professional. Indeed, I really must admit that with your talents and wit, you should not even entertain the thought of doing anything else. Please carry on my good man and inspire us all.

Sincerely,

Professor Emeritus
Common Sense University

#4 Parent The Observer - 2004-12-27
Most Emphatically

Dear Professor This,

I doubt if you remember me, but at another time and in another place you were gracious enough in your kind condescension to allow me to reap from the rich harvest of your experience and wisdom.

Really I can't thank you enough for your kind help on this board. It is rare indeed that a shining star such as yourself appears; so mature and wordly wise, with such a plenitude of experience in the field, and with a truly astonishing appreciation of the abstract notions of contemporary linguistics and second language pedagogy while at the same time being able to comprehend and analyse so thoroughly the more mundane or industrial aspects of language teaching, and, furthemore, to explain them so clearly in language that we the laiety can so easily understand and feel so comfortable with.

This has all been deeply, deeply appreciated. May we have the honour of your personal reference towards your personal bibliography, or even some of your more recent publications? Any seminars or symposiums in the offing in the new year? Please, be assured that we are all of the firm opinion that there is absolutely no need for you to entertain any aspiration towards modesty on this front.

yours most humbly and sincerely,

#5 Parent Observe This - 2004-12-26
The Internet

Did you try printing one from the Internet? There are services... just do a Google search. I suspect many teachers do that, as I find it hard to believe many out there actually really have a four-year BA degree for this line of work.

#6 Parent Michaelangello - 2004-12-24
Degree response

There are many schools in China which do not require degrees. Mostly in the Medium sized cities like Harbin, Benxi, or Hubei.

There are also some schools in Russia and Poland that do not require degrees, but for the most part a degree is required.

If you want a job in the Far East, then China is your best bet, Japan is impossible.

I know some schools and companies in nice cities which will take good teachers without degrees. The CELTA will help you alot, be sure to have plenty of copies of it along with your CV.

Alex - 2004-12-23
Degrees

Hi there,

New to this board. I've just got my CELTA and was ready to head off to Japan, Korea, Taiwan etc. However, it seems that lots of countries want a degree before issuing visas etc. I never graduated with my BA as I'm gonnie go back and do honours. Any ideas? Where can I make money without an actual degree scroll?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Return to Index › Degrees

Go to another board -