TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › stay home?
#1 Parent John - 2008-09-28
Re: stay home?

Julie, don't let the nay-sayers on this forum put you off. Do a bit of reading at Raouls. ....http://www.raoulschinasaloon.com..........The members there are some of the happiest, most intelligent teachers in China. You will get excellent answers to your questions, and will be steered in the right direction.

#2 Parent Rheno747 - 2008-09-24
Stay Home

Unless you can get a job in Europe, you should stay home. My salary has gone down by about 25% in only one year. Why? Currency fluctuations. In dollars, I'm making a LOT less these days. Also, regarding Thailand...I'd go to Ajarn dot com and research, research,research. Seems the regulations there have changed and one is rumoured to be 'required' to complete some sort of culture course that lasts nearly a year and costs nearly two thousand dollars, not counting rent, food, and opportunity costs. To that I'd say "No thanks." Besides, you can do a lot better than Toyland anyway. The weather's nice, but the pay really sucks, and the students don't want to learn the language. Some aren't even fluent in Thai, let alone know ten words in English.

Yeap, I'd stay home.

Julie - 2008-09-23
stay home?

I have been researching this world of ESL for 4-5 months. Just got my masters degree in education from University of Michigan and would like to go overseas to work and learn/live in another culture. I substitute taught in Michigan school systems for ten years so I'm not new to the classroom. Through exhaustive research I have heard so many negatives and so few positives on these boards I am considering just staying home. Anyone have an inspirational word or two? I am considering Thailand or Guangdong.

Return to Index › stay home?

Go to another board -