TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: EF Schools in Jinan: Be careful
#1 Parent Foxy - 2008-10-01
Re: EF Schools in Jinan: Be careful

Turnoi,what you said about trade unions has reminded me of what happened a couple of years ago at a state college in a provincial Chinese capital where I was one of three FT's of English.
All of us were being paid at least 4 weeks late on a regular basis,contrary to our teaching contracts.
After bringing the problem to the attention of the college waiban,I was given lame excuses each time.
After 4 months of this I rounded up the other two FT's,with a view to go on strike en masse.I'm sure such industrial action would have solved the late-payment problem almost at once.But neither of them would hear of it.One said he had enough money to last him until the next late pay day.I responded that not every FT is in that fortunate position,and that we should think of the possible plight of those FT's who would be there after we had moved on.But he was too afraid to rock the boat.So was the other one.
Many Chinese learners of English believe that foreigners are principled people who believe in fairness and just causes.I'm afraid that's not always so.

Return to Index › Re: EF Schools in Jinan: Be careful

Go to another board -