TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans"
#1 Parent Turino - 2008-11-30
Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans"

Thanks for putting the record straight. Now I've discovered, albeit belatedly, that one of my former fellow FT's is a bit of a rascal.
As for your assailant, I've only met him once, that night at SOS. He had had quite a lot to drink, presumably to drown his sorrows on account of having been suddenly and perhaps unexpectedly fired after 3 years or so of teaching in Yuncheng. I also doubt very much he was under the influence of drugs.
But I don't think he ended up in jail the following day. Much better for him if he hadn't! Seemingly I've been told some porky pies re the incident. No matter!
As for the majority of Yuncheng's FT's being great people,you're dead right, methinks.

#2 Parent Chris - 2008-11-30

That was the same as i was involved in. You have been told wrong. He was let go and was leaving the next day and had worked in yuncheng off and on for 3 years. There were three girls involved also unfortunetly. I think his being fired had much to do with his behavior that night. I have talked to him sense then and he said he was drugged which i dont believe but has been known to happen often in that disco. As far as him going to jail he did later that night so i am told for another incident later that night. Either way i did not recieve anything but a small cut and a ruined night out. That money got pocketed more than likely to not call the cops as you said. I would be more careful of chinese when there drunk in clubs. It is way harder to judge what they will do in a questionable situation when drunk. I have seen best friends turn on each other with bottles in disco's when drunk. The majority by far of Ft's in Yuncheng are great people and have no need or interest in fighting or causing trouble. You did not witness it so be careful about what you hear from other people, especially during those rare situations and bars/clubs/discos.

#3 Parent Turino - 2008-11-25

I don't think the incident you were involved in was the same one that I was witness to. The victim was from Greenwich village and was employed as an FT by a rival recruiting agency was what I was told. As for three girls being involved, I'm puzzled as I didn't hear anyone talking about girls after the attack. Neither did I observe the actual assault taking place, as I was seated near the stage at the time.
But I did see the aggressor handing over 2000 Yuan to a bouncer. A colleague of mine told me the money represented damages for the attack, which would be paid to the bleeding victim. But it's within the realms of possibility that that money could have been pocketed as a bribe by the club's staff so as not to involve the police.
I'm not of the opinion that unsavoury incidents like that are commonplace in Yuncheng, or for that matter, China. And I don't believe either that all FT's teaching in that city are bad people.
But it only takes one to be at the wrong end of that kind of situation once to sour one's time abroad. So I'm ultra cautious these days whenever I'm in Chinese bars/night clubs frequented by foreigners drinking alcohol.
As for what happened afterwards at that hotel, I returned to my apartment once I was convinced that the aggressor had sufficiently calmed down to be left there without committing another assault and/or damaging the premises.
Seemingly he left for Shanghai the following morning. Later I heard that he had been let go by our recruiter earlier on the day of the assault after 3 years or so of teaching in Yuncheng. He had been fortunate enough not to have ended up behind bars that night, something in China to be avoided at all costs imo!

#4 Parent Chris - 2008-11-23

First of all I am that White FT. Second of all I dont know why you say im from New York because im not. Third of all i never accepted any money from him.

He did have to be restrained by 5 bouncers..But as i recall they were not bouncers or at least did not look like them. I dont know WHO you are but if you were there i didn't see you helping at all. I have no recruiter and dont need the money and wouldn't take it even if i did. That night was just a senseless act of violence over a big misunderstanding. That does not happen often if ever. It is the only FT on FT altercation i have ever been in. You sure as hell were not helping me or the three girls i was trying to protect from him. So dont say bad things about the foreigners in Yuncheng all over the internet before you get your facts straight.

By the way how do YOU know what they did with a local girl that night after SOS? Did you go with them for the "good time" with one of the local girls too?

#5 Parent Turino - 2008-11-11

Most female college students in China regard the French as a very romantic race.What's more, educated Frenchmen are similar to educated Chinamen in that by and large both groups tend to be slightly effeminate.So, I can see why some Asian women make themselves available to soft-spoken young Frenchmen,even married ones!
What you said about fights between foreigners in China brings to mind what happened at the SOS Night Club in Yuncheng, Shanxi province, one evening last year:
A drunken Nigerian FT punched a white FT from New York in the face for no apparent reason.Although the New Yorker didn't retaliate, the crazy African wanted to have another go!He was so irate that he had to be restrained by no less than five Chinese bouncers.It soon became clear that the night club staff were not eager to involve the police.Instead they forced the aggressor to pay his bleeding victim 2000 Yuan as compensation, which was accepted as he didn't wish to involve the police,thereby shaming his recruiter,who happened to be a rival of the aggressor's recruiter.Eventually,one of the aggressor's colleagues, a Jamaican, managed to persuade the Nigerian to leave for one of Yuncheng's cheap hotels.Once there, both of them had a good time with one of the local girls.
After having witnessed that senseless attack, I vowed to steer well clear of all drunken and quarrelsome foreigners in China.

Return to Index › Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans"

Go to another board -