TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Spoilt Chinese students
#1 Parent Li Bai - 2008-12-31
Re: Spoilt Chinese students

How true. And how many times have you thought, or even told some of your students that they should never even think of going outside of China with the attitudes some of them have. Life expectancy in a Southern Cal or N.Y. City school would be measured in seconds.

Maybe not today or tomorrow, but SOMEDAY they will learn that China is NOT the center of the universe and the "me first" attitude can be risky, at best.

But there is still hope. A precious few who know the value of hard work can, and do succeed. The cheaters and lazy ones usually end up working for Chinese companies but I have taught two who are now working for North American companies (in China) and are making more money than their former classmates could ever dream of.

Save the ones you can - the rest you just have to let go. More English usually means more money and some Western companies now expanding to China know how to make money. Students may ignore us, but sooner or later, they will have to face them. Kinda makes our jobs secure, because those same students may be back in our classrooms. And my price just went up because I told you so!

#2 Parent I'm a Gooner - 2008-12-30

I first taught in China in 2001 and I had the same problem. I had a student who never attends any classes at all. The only time I or any of us foreign teachers saw her was on the day of the final examination.

All of us did not hesitate to fail her. But what shocked us out of our skin was that she had her results altered without our approval. She could not even hold a conversation for more than 60 seconds.

All of us foreign teachers almost died of heart attack when we fond out that after graduation she was offered an English teaching job at the university where we taught.

We have to live with the fact that this is China.

Welcome to the world of Chinese Education

#3 Parent Not surprised anymore - 2008-12-30

I think were already seeing the future of China if you look at the schools allowing this to go on, some of those running those schools were clearly spoilt themselves. The rest of the problem is simple greed.

This is what happens when you create people who are al about me me me, and make them think the world revolves around them. China outstripe the west, not likely anytime soon, not with this education system.

Return to Index › Re: Spoilt Chinese students

Go to another board -