TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Spoilt Chinese students
#1 Parent Li Bai - 2009-01-05
Re: Spoilt Chinese students

To answer your question, I believe it has, among other things, a lot to do with the one child policy. These kids rarely have household chores (other than endless homework, are not taught the basics of respect for self or others and believe they are the only ones who matter in the world. "Momma feeds me ... then wipes my ass" so who are you, foreign teacher, to tell me that I can't speak your language?"

Factor in the belief that boys are superior, the only way to learn English is to memorize, "Fine thank you and you" or "I'll just copy my buddies homework or his exam answers" and you're well on your way to a major problem.

We must also never forget that China is the center of the universe, inventors of EVERYTHING, yet is still developing?? and "What!!?? You expect me to THINK for my self?? and "A little bit of work is required to learn English" is worse than ????? produces a mind numbing shock that "I only got a 70?"

Add the fact that "My daddy is richer than his daddy... so where is my 100%?"

Not to forget that English class is "Fun and play" time, an opportunity to do other homework, teach the English teacher to speak Chinese, eat, fart, fight, draw pictures, listen to the teacher sing, watch him/her dance or give endless stories about "American Culture" (you mean there are other countries out there and isn't America part of Australia or isn't Canada a baren frozen wasteland)and you, teacher, who are required to be happy,happy everyday, make me love English and CANNOT THROW MY BEHIND OUT OF THIS CLASSROOM, leads to all kinds of poor work (there's that word again) habits.

After reading this, I think it's time for a beer (or five) and figure out why I am still doing this. Can anyone answer a question for me? When will the Superbowl be broadcast in China? It's Feb.1 in the U.S. so what's the tme difference?

Li Bai

Return to Index › Re: Spoilt Chinese students

Go to another board -