TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Teaching in Japan without a degree
#1 Parent doesitmatter - 2009-01-17
Re: Teaching in Japan without a degree

"The fact is you cannot change it, and you cannot stop it unless China does. It is a sociological, economical, and a historical phenomenon. Nobody asks for qualifications when people are pressed to move to make their living elsewhere for one or the other reason, it just happens....."
Turnoi

Well, for once, I agree with you; at least partially anyway. In fact, qualifications are asked for. Unfortunately, or, some would say, fortunately, the concept of "letter of the law" simply does not apply to China. Someone once said of liberals that if God were a liberal, Moses would have brought down from the mountain "the ten suggestions." I guess the same can be said of the Chinese who view laws more as suggestions than actually rules to abide by.

However, one can hope that Westerners coming to China would not take advantage of the loopholes and that they would instead seek to improve the quality of education here rather than assist in its degradation.

One could also hope that the attitude of "too bad, so sad" in terms of Chinese students and their parents being scammed would not be ascribed to by Westerners who, more often than not, consider themselves to be morally superior to their Chinese brethren.

But you're right. I won't change anything. I don't expect to. I'm only taking advantage of this forum to express my concerns. If that provides the impetus for contentious attacks from other contributors in this forum, then I can only take a step back and scratch my head in wonder. However, while doing so I will be mindful of human nature and will examine and reexamine what motivates some people to act in such a way. There is such a thing as "right mindedness" and "right actions;" however, I'm also aware that humanity is a work in progress and that, therefore, we are all of us imperfect. Most of us, I'd like to believe, strive in different ways to overcome our imperfections, but sometimes we find it too easy to avoid the complications of doing so - especially when it suits our own needs or pads our pocketbooks.

Return to Index › Re: Teaching in Japan without a degree

Go to another board -