TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Moving a cat in China
#1 Parent English teacher - 2009-01-24
Re: Moving a cat in China

I take also care of a cat in China.
An ESL-teacher, friend of mine, travelled with his tomcat from Yantai ( Shandong ) to a Changzhou ( in Jiangsu ) by train in 2005.
Why don`t you ask a Chinese English teacher from your school to contact the local train station or bus station ? ( to find out the last regulations about travelling with a pet by train or bus )

Best wishes !

#2 Parent wai - 2009-01-24

here is some info i found on a site http://www.icvsasia.com/9/RELOCATING_TO_OTHER_CHINAESE_CITIES.html i hope this give you some ideas.

#3 Parent Jerome - 2009-01-24

Yeah, it's hard to think about leaving the cat behind while moving about China, isn't it? What we found out regarding air travel is that, yes, you do need a certificate from a veterinarian showing that the cat has had its shots. We're still pondering the bus, train situation and can't seem to get a clear answer on that. Something else we're curious about is whether or not there is a safe way to put our cat to sleep for about 24 hours so that she won't be totally traumatized during transport. We also worry, based on what damage to my luggage I've seen as a result of improper handling, how careful the baggage handlers are with pets.

Well, anyway, I hope it works out for you, and, if you find anything more definitive than I have, I hope you'll post it here. It's crazy enough to almost make you want to get a car, isn't it?

#4 Parent wo ai mao - 2009-01-23

Thanks, Jon, but I think you didn't quite understand my post or maybe I wasn't quite clear. I'm already here in China, as is the cat. I found the cat outside my apartment here in the Chinese city in which I have lived for the past year. I'm moving from one province to another within the country. I can't see how my consulate would know anything.

#5 Parent jon - 2009-01-23

contact your embassy-consulate for advise
check with a local vet-ask the vet if your cat need a vaccination certificate
call the train-bus-plane company and ask if possible to travel with cats
consider renting a car
Even if your vet or anyone tell you that is ok and easy - double check and have a plan b, chinese laws and regulations on animal movement are constantly changing

Worse case: your cat will go into a specific quarantine facility for 15-30 days (alot less for cats than dogs)

Please Don't abandon your cat and good luck to both.

wo ai mao - 2009-01-23
Moving a cat in China

This may seem like a ridiculous question but I really need to know and can't seem to find a firm answer despite researching it. I'm moving from a city in Guangdong to a city in Hunan and I want (need) to bring my cat with me. He's neutered and nice, about a year old and I have a nice carrier for him that looks like a suitcase. (If you're curious, I found him abandoned on a street when he was tiny. Couldn't bring myself to just leave him there.) Some people have said I can't bring him on a train, others have said I can. Same with a bus. Has anyone ever done this? The school I'm moving to has said it's fine to bring him but never mentioned exactly HOW to do it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Index › Moving a cat in China

Go to another board -