TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › previous broken contract- mention?
#1 Parent Li Bai - 2009-01-30
Re: previous broken contract- mention?

I sense the wagons are starting to circle. You can count me in as well for an extra resource in China. I also have a good contact in Japan, if that's to your liking. Cranky od fart to work for (sorry G.) but the man does KNOW this business. Oh, by the way, the Pink Floyd song is "Another Brick in the Wall". If you're as old as some of us on this board, just listen to the words and remember when the situation was reversed.

As for the "One Burbon, One Scotch, One Beer", buy them anyway. If you're not a drinker - you will be. If you are - it will get worse :-).

Li Bai

P.S. If you are in China and need a lift (drive, not elevator), for all you British, the only thing Bob, my ox, does is carry my books up endless flights of stairs. I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping out. If you have the need for speed, not a chance! This is China!

Good luck

L.B.

And I know it's not fair, but anyone want to take another kick at ol' Frankie boy? As good a time as any!

#2 Parent Li Bai - 2009-01-30

Hi Stella

Most foreign teachers will agree that contracts are made to be broken and some aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I would suggest the open and honest approach. If the reason will affect your new position, then it would be in your best interest to indicate who broke the contract and why.

I've done some short term work and have had mutual disagreements with employers which, in another situation, may have been unfavorable. Most new employers accepted my version of the story, said "forget about it" and "Welcome to our school".

It's no biggie, the sun will come up tomorrow and no matter who you are teaching, your students WILL give you grey hair.

Get a copy of Pink Floyd's "We Don't Need No Education" (I think that's the name of the song). If not, the tune with the line "Hey teacher! Leave them kids alone". Next play George Thorogood's "One Burbon, One Scotch, One Beer" and jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

If you have to mention it, always do it it a way that makes YOU look good.

#3 Parent been there - 2009-01-30

You don't say where your bad experience was or where you are looking for work. If you are looking in China and are a native speaker pretty much anything in your past can be overlooked, especially if you are a woman. Many schools are actively seeking female native speakers. A new term starts here very shortly and schools need to hire someone quickly. I had one horrible experience here and left a school after only 6 weeks and I don't put it on my resume but it was a totally illegal school that never got me a visa. If the contract you broke was a completely legal one at a "real" school it might be difficult to leave it off your resume simply because the visa will still be in your passport.

If you're looking in China I could probably give you some leads. Drop me a private email.

Stella - 2009-01-29
previous broken contract- mention?

I'm a former EFL teacher currently applying for jobs, but I have a dilemma. My previous experience comes from a job where I did not finish the contract (not my choice). If it makes a difference, the school I was at was one of those notorious schools that have numerous blacklists against it. I need some advice: should I list the job on my resume and take advantage of having at least some experience, and hope the employers will be understanding? Or should I just omit it altogether (and represent myself as unexperienced teacher)? It's a tricky one; my leaving early is completely understood by any reasonable person, but I worry that an unfulfilled contract (for ANY reason) would be a red flag that would outweigh anything else.

Return to Index › previous broken contract- mention?

Go to another board -