TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: irony
#1 Parent Finnigan - 2009-02-23
Re: irony

"What do you think are the chances your post is going to make one of those dullards care?"

In answer to that question I would have to guess that it is more probable that younger teachers would be more apt to care than older teachers. But that statement needs qualifying also, so let's just say that young teachers with an interest in excellence will care more than others. I suppose the fact that many of the older teachers - especially those who have come here for a variety of reasons that are supported by their teaching rather than coming here specifically to teach - are content with the English they've got by on for their whole lives.

Yeah, laziness is a factor. Some of the statistics regarding post high school and post college academic pursuits are pretty alarming. For example, it has been said that the average college graduate in America, after the age of 30, reads only one or two books a year.

But look, I don't really have an opinion about most people who don't choose to elevate the level of their language skills. What I'm specifically referring to is those who've been given the responsibility to teach English. In the years that I've been in China, most of that time spent as a coordinator, I've encountered so many examples of the language being misrepresented in class that it's not worth mentioning all of them. Why haven't those teachers guilty of said misrepresentations taken the time or given the energy to at least familiarize themselves with the subject matter before "teaching" it improperly? Moreover, since this is a website for English teachers, it begs the question of why said "teachers" would not be embarrassed by what is revealed in their writing as a fairly weak grasp of English. Again, though, problem areas could be identified and then fixed with a little diligent study coupled with a small portion of giving a damn.

#2 Parent The Enlightened One - 2009-02-23
Re: irony

In all fairness, I really just hear a lot of horn tooting. Maybe that's just the overexcited automobile owners of China outside my window. Your suggestion is a good one, sometimes I am also appalled by the English usage of so-called, "native English" speakers.

What you don't understand is that most people are lazy by nature, and many will only use the required English ability to make it through their day. Not to mention, the fact that your English does become dull after spending a lot of time teaching basic grammar and word structure to ESL students in another country(although I am sure not all posters fit into their category). You simply might not have the reason to use your vast vocabulary, and thus lose a great deal. My French, since coming to China, is almost non-existent now.

I don't think it's so much "ironic" as it is a condition of human nature and personal value. Some simply care and some simply don't. What do you think are the chances your post is going to make one of those dullards care? Oh well, if it was only one than it was worth it.

TEO

Return to Index › Re: irony

Go to another board -