TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China: Chinese VISA
#1 Parent Turino - 2009-03-09
Re: A university hired 3 teachers without degree, Z visas issued

I was just wondering:
a)what makes you think you deserve to be called a "modelteacher"?
b)how long in terms of years of teaching did it take you to 'become' one?

#2 Parent ModelTeacher - 2009-03-09

It is NOT illegal for someone to work in China without a degree, as long as they have the Z-visa and residence permit. But one thing that should be made perfectly clear here is this: It IS illegal for teachers to work in China with just an L visa, regardless of whether they have the degree or not. Some schools and unis promise to convert the L visa to a Z-visa, but they really can't, in many provinces an L visa can't be changed into a Z-visa.

If a teacher has a degree or not is really irrelevant, it is the type of visa you have that is important. I have seen many job advertisements on the internet where a degree is required so teachers can use Superkids and New Interchange textbooks. What a joke? Basically, using these textbooks is a waste of time and energy, why is there a degree required to teach oral and written English? You only become good at teaching these things by experience, as we well know, many degree holders have very poor written English skills.

#3 Parent scholar - 2009-03-09

As for a degree in dressmaking, don't twist my words, clearly you see what you want to. If the person hs a degree, then tey need not pay anyone off, they are legal, or have you forgotten a degree in "anything" will get you a legal visa here.

You seem to be confusing the words Diploma and Degree. They are not at all the same thing.

#4 Parent GreenSmurf - 2009-03-09

You protest too much scholar, so of course you have a need.

As for a degree in dressmaking, don't twist my words, clearly you see what you want to. If the person hs a degree, then tey need not pay anyone off, they are legal, or have you forgotten a degree in "anything" will get you a legal visa here. I did not say it is right, moral, or ethical, only that it is the current law, and if you want to get past that law, go to work in a backward province where everything is mired in a gray area.

In reality, 90, 95 percent of employers here will not hire you without a degree, real or fake, hence, I am speaking of only the legal. Is it wrong, surely, but life is rarely fair. You won't be getting a legal visa 90 plus percent of the time unless you have the sheep skin, real or fake. The other 5 to 10 percent of the time, we are talking about illegal schools, or schools that have paid someone off. If you have a degree in dress making, you're in, because hey, it is a degree, and that's all that is required. Experience though is not enough, it is a "pretext" which means someone is on the take, and needs a good excuse for qualifying someone for a legal work visa, but it is not a real reason, not here, where everything is quid pro quo.

Now if you want to argue what is right and what is wrong, that's a different matter. Many without degrees are better teachers than those with, blah blah blah. This subject has been discussed to death, and will continue to be.

I find it humorous that you can't handle someone using a slang term like bupkiss without pointing it out, a true sign that you feel you are superior and an authority, like a blue blook talking down to peasants, LOL. Give us a break, you are above using slang, good for you, really just means you feel a need to point out that you are above others. Gimmie a break.

#5 Parent scholar - 2009-03-08

If it does happen, it means someone is getting paid off, on the take, and turning a blind eye. As for this fellow scholar saying they got jobs because they had teaching experience, nonsense. It's because someone in the school knows the right people. I am sure that's what he was told, that some legal exception was made based upon their experience, but that's bupkiss.

bupkiss ? Now there's an interesting word.

A certain poster on this board who has only a Diploma in, what is it, oh yes, dressmaking I believe, tells that he has worked legally in China for several years and presumably has an RP. Did his employer pay someone off ? According to you he will not succeed in his current search for a new job. I bet he will. Employing teachers with good experience is a lot more prevalent than you would have us believe. Big city or not.

By the way, an alias may be the speciality of others, but no me, I have no need.

#6 Parent GreenSmurf - 2009-03-08

My guess, that you are one of the so called know it alls under an alias, to make such a comment.

As to you being right, I never said my words were all encompassing, only that, in truth they really do apply to the majority, 95 percent of jobs here. What your talking about is more an exception then a rule, and I think we all know it.

Generally speaking folks, you won't be getting a Z visa or work permit to teach here without a degree, that's the law. Can it happen? Sure it can, but not in most circumstances. I never said it's impossible, but it is highly improbable.

If it does happen, it means someone is getting paid off, on the take, and turning a blind eye. As for this fellow scholar saying they got jobs because they had teaching experience, nonsense. It's because someone in the school knows the right people. I am sure that's what he was told, that some legal exception was made based upon their experience, but that's bupkiss.

Doesn't really matter though, sure it can happen, but it is not so common as this person would have you think, less than 5 percent in fact. That there are many more working with no degree is quite true, but they don't have residence permits.

I wonder what your aliases have been in the past scholar? I think we can all guess, likely begins with a big L.

Scholars school is an isolated incident, believe me, don't be expecting a school to hire you without a degree and get you a Z visa to boot, first might happen, second is highly unlikely, though yes, not impossible. Almost nothing is impossible, good point scholar, though rather obvious. Bye.

#7 Parent doesitmatter - 2009-03-07
visas and stuff

Yes, things have tightened up since the Olympics; however, PSB and Foreign Affairs Officers still view the laws regarding visa processing as guidelines when it is convenient for them to do so. In addition, there are loopholes to the laws. I know of one person without a BA who has been working in China for three years. He could care less about second language acquisition. It's all about the visa for him; a visa, by the way that continues to be issued by the head of the PSB who has a reputation for playing things by the book. I guess the book has pages torn out of it. Nevertheless, generally speaking, a degree is required.

Of course you could print yourself a degree. Joe Blow can easily offer up the necessary credentials. A little creativity with MS Word and you're good to go. And, hey, if you're going to fake your degree, might as will give yourself a doctorate. No problem, I would be shocked to discover that degrees, CVs and Resumes were checked by any administrators of any schools in China. Great scam against those who many of you would consider scammers. My take is that there's a whole bunch of FTs supporting the scam. As often as not, they're the ones who complain the most. Interesting.

Recently, when meeting with the new Associate Dean at our college, I inquired as to whether or not she had read the CVs and/or resumes of the staff. She'd already been there prior to the new term. Of course she had not. For her and the Dean, it's more about damage control than it is about providing excellence. They figure they're doing there job if they manage to keep the foreigners in line and convince the students to be patient with their unqualified teachers. How they determine which teacher will teach a certain subject is a mystery. I think they have a dart board with the names of the FTs on it. When they're deciding who goes where, that is, who teaches what, they close their eyes and throw the darts. Works out well for them; no need to determine who's qualified to teach writing for example. Just throw that dart.

#8 Parent scholar - 2009-03-07
A university hired 3 teachers without degree, Z visas issued

Bob will not be able to get a Z visa without a degree. The school will not be able to get said visa just because they can legally hire foreigners. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago this was the case, but no longer.

Scholar is no scholar at all, if one is to go by his lame advice

You are entitled to our opinion GreenSmurf, however I am sorry to say you are misinformed and further misinforming Bob the OP. I do not claim to be an expert in visa matters but my university here in Jiangsu, having just hired 3 teachers for this spring term in exactly the circumstances I have detailed in my first post on this subject, I feel I am 'up to date' with the information given so the advice was not lame at all as you claim. Two are from the US and one from Britain and obtained Z visas on the basis of teaching experience and were issued with letters of invitation by the uni. None have degrees. I myself work in the administration which does not require a degree, nevertheless I have one.
Strange how people pop out of the woodwork to damn others who try to give first hand accurate (rather than hearsay) info. by request. Or could it be one of the usual know all suspects under an alias perhaps?

#9 Parent GreenSmurf - 2009-03-07
Re: Chinese VISA

Sorry Scholar, but I've been lurking for a while, and you do come across as a self appointed expert.

Your views on visas in China are dead wrong. Bob will not be able to get a Z visa without a degree. The school will not be able to get said visa just because they can legally hire foreigners. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago this was the case, but no longer.

Bob, things have tightened up here of late, especially after the olympics. If you don't have a degree, you won't likely be getting any legit jobs here. Scholar is no scholar at all, if one is to go by his lame advice.

#10 Parent Bob THT - 2009-03-07

I didn't see that Scholar gave advice about learning Latin in the US. I was a bit confused by your post.

#11 Parent scholar - 2009-03-07

On the board, there is a 'self-appointed' expert right now, 'scholar' by name, giving advice about Chinese visas. Prior to that he gave advice about studying Latin in the US!

You are mistaken Turino.
I am neither a 'self-appointed expert' nor have I offered any advice on studying Latin in the US! The poster re: visas asked for advice and I gave it to the best of my knowledge. I post rarely and only upon subjects within my knowledge and experience. I suggest you look back and rectify your claim.

You do however highlight one aspect of posts on this board Certain posters (no names, no pack drill) jump in on each and every subject offering words of wisdom which are often misleading, malicious or ignorant of the facts. A little less from them would be welcomed by many readers.

#12 Parent Turino - 2009-03-06

On the board, there is a 'self-appointed' expert right now, 'scholar' by name, giving advice about Chinese visas. Prior to that he gave advice about studying Latin in the US!But I'll not give any advice re either.The Chinese Embassy website can do so re the former,but the right to change policy without notice is reserved by said Embassy! So,when does the advice of OTHERS become redundant?You tell me,in fact you needn't,I'll tell you - as soon as it's given!

#13 Parent Bob THT - 2009-03-06

Thank you Scholar for your help.
So the trick played is schools hiring foreigners without proper permission to do so? So if I get a job with a school that does not have permission to hire foreigners then im pretty much going to get the run around until my exit? haha
Also talk to me about racism in China... The more I learn about China the more I hear about their distain for some races. Is there a reason you can find in their history that tells why?
Thanks again for your help.

#14 Parent scholar - 2009-03-06

Bob, assuming that you are white, a native English speaker (even Americans fall into this category), find a school willing to employ you and get them to send you a letter of invitation. This will make it easy to get a Z visa from your home country's Chinese Embassy with which to enter China. Sign a contract with said school and they will do the rest to obtain your Residence Permit, which is in effect your work permit, degree or no degree. If the school offering you employment has permission to employ foreigners they will have no problems circumventing any rules and regs.

Ensure that you deal directly with the school and not a middleman as they are usually unreliable in their promises.

Bob THT - 2009-03-05
China: Chinese VISA

Hello all,
What is the deal regarding a non degreed teacher receiving a working visa in China? I have heard so many thories. I have even heard lately that you can't get a visa in the 3 major cities but you could one in other cities in China...Is there a black and white answer out there? I have taught in other countries "under the table' as we say here in the states, but I would much rather do it on the up and up.
Thanks for any help, Bob

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:11 AM]

Return to Index › China: Chinese VISA

Go to another board -