TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Dalian Institute of Light Industry (BEWARE) - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Roy - 2009-03-12
Re: Dalian Institute of Light Industry (BEWARE) - Teachers discussion

I was really surprised when I read your experience. generally, salary is paid monthly and pay date should be stipulated in contract, like"paid at the end of each month". Is the school you mentioned in dalian a public school or private school?

comparatively, public school will not give you highest salary, but the working environment is relaxed,may some time they delay payment for soemdays( due to official reporting, signature,making forms...), but they will pay you. and their salary counting is not detailed in every teaching hour, that is to say they maybe pay you more than expected according to contract described, of course that does not happen to every one.

you may require 30days probation as the content of contract,this will give your chance to know the school. the negative is that some eployer maybe terminate contracts in their favour.

#2 Parent Paul - 2009-03-08
Re: Dalian Institute of Light Industry (BEWARE) - Teachers discussion

Chinese labour law applies to foreigners as well as Chinese. Contact the municipal government and education authority. And for goodness sake, make sure you have photos and emails in terms of evidence.

#3 Parent Elizabeth Acker - 2006-05-01
NCC/Dalian Light Institute of Light Industry - Teachers discussion

Hi Chantelle... Yes, this is all true. I am a friend and former co-worker of Chantelle's. I worked for a man named Frank Sun. He runs a program called NCC Education. He hired me to teach English. He also hired Chantelle but then at the very last minute told her he didn't need her!

I taught one class with this company, but 7 with the univeristy. I didn't mind working for the university, but they gave me no materials. Later I found out that NCC is a training facility franchise and teachers are not suppose to be contracted out to other schools. NCC headquarters, however, said they couldn't do anything because they are owned individually.

Mr. Sun lied to me on several occasions, took out a lot of money each month and never gave me a detailed list of deductions in English, and he forged a document saying I had a Masters of English. In the end I was fired because I wouldn't teach a math class. My contract stated that I was hired as an English teacher. I have a BA in Communications and Marketing with a CELTA certificate. I have had no training to teach math, and I am terrible at it!

I finished the term and received a letter of release. However, I never received my one way ticket home. I am currently trying to take him to court for breech of contract and for the ticket.

So, be warned... DON'T work for Frank Sun or Dalian Light Institute of Industry!

#4 Parent Masked Avenger - 2006-04-26
Ripped of by Dalien Institute of Light Industry - Teachers discussion

1. Sounds familiar to what I have seen in China.
2.The money not paid to you was no doubt divied up among the administrators concerned. Nice bit of pocket money.
3. I don't know why you let them treat you that way. That is being passive. Yes I also blame the victem. You expect Western manners? Why? Play tough. These are crooks. Before you left you could have packed the computer or the main internal micropanel at least), but not before telling them that it was fair compensation, in lieu of cash. Sometimes that loosens the purse strings. Project strength, not wounds.
4. You could have added that you would be circulating the theft of salary in a Chinese written statement to all students. Photocopiers are wonderful for pamphleting. That's micro-politics. I would have gone to the police with a translator and reported the theft. You can still give that a try.
5. Sounds like the many crooked schools and universities in Korea. Had my fill of them.

C Snyder - 2006-03-08
Dalian Institute of Light Industry (BEWARE) - Teachers discussion

As members of the same species, we are morally obligated to warn others of danger and impending doom.

Dalian Institute of Light Industry
(Dalian, Liaoning, PR China):
Deceitful, Manipulative, Unethical.
DANGER: IMPENDING DOOM!

I was not bothered so much by the actions of Dalian Institute of Light Industry (because one learns to expect a certain level of incompetence after 6 years of living in China), but rather by the attitude of the Director and Vice-Director.

In a nutshell, I was forced out of my apartment in November and into an unsanitary (sewage stench/cockroach infestation) and unsafe (aggressive neighborhood flasher/multiple keys to my door and unknown people just walking in) apartment because of redecoration of the campus accommodations.

The temporary apartment had NONE of the things listed in my contract as indirect compensation including: heat, bedding, furniture, hot water heater for showering, cooking facilities, refrigerator, television, washing machine, telephone, the list goes on and on The Foreign Affairs Department promised that the basic essentials would be in place within a few days. Three weeks later, the only thing installed was a cheap hot water heater bought by the landlord before I moved in. And it was so cheap that the water temperature was constantly inconstant and kept burning me!!

I made many phone calls, messages, and emails every week. When they bothered to answer, the answer was always the same: were working on it. After 3 long weeks of stinky uncomfortable torture I handed in my resignation. They replied immediately, and made a heartfelt apology. The Vice Director told me (to my face) that I couldnt possibly expect them to follow the terms of the contract, because it couldnt possibly apply under circumstances like this (ie: they didnt want to spend the money required to follow the terms). I replied that law was law, and it was created so that vulnerable foreign workers (me) would have their basic rights provided for (heat and a skink-free place to sleep) during a contracted work agreement.

I noted that I had upheld my responsibilities (teaching well prepared lessons and receiving praise from both students and the leaders of the English Department), but the school had not lived up to their end of the bargain.

During this time, the Provincial Education Committee was evaluating the school because the Institute wanted to become a University. Having their only foreign teacher leave would have looked bad, so they coaxed me to finish the term and promised to make adequate reparations in atonement for their mistreatment. Honestly, I wasnt too keen about leaving the students without a mark only two weeks before final exams, so I stayed.

All appeared calm, and I was moved back in to my old apartment (still no washing machine but I knew nothing would come of it, so I didnt bother). In January I went to the Foreign Affairs Office to collect my winter salary (standard two months salary with a holiday allowance) but much to my surprise I was refused!

I was told that after the deplorable way they treated me, how could they ensure I wouldnt just take the money and run.

I was stupefied!

Of course, on my salary, I didnt have enough money to last the winter. They left me no other choice but to find another job.

If I wanted to be treated so disrespectfully I could stay at home and teach!! I came to China to enjoy a new culture and new experience not this kind of experience! I dont really need to be treated this badly for such little money.

If you are looking for a rewarding teaching experience and enjoyable life in a foreign country DO NOT go to Dalian Institute of Light Industry. Their incompetence and flexible legal responsibility will make your life miserable! Benign neglect is one thing, but malignant incompetence is quite another!

You have been warned!!!

Contact me for further details theres much more to the story!!!

Chantelle Snyder
cplsnyder2000@yahoo.com

Return to Index › Dalian Institute of Light Industry (BEWARE) - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -