TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Best materials for TOEFL prep
#1 Parent Robbie McMullan - 2009-05-17
Re: Best materials for TOEFL prep

Hi John,

I have taught ESL and TOEFL for a couple of decades and I believe I have figured out a thing or two about what's most important.

Above all, because the TOEFL iBT does a relatively accurate job of assessing a student's university-level English ability, the most helpful approach is to look beyond just the standard test prep books (which have limited utility) and include a lot of fundamental academic-English building in your program.

Best of Luck,

Robbie McMullan
Principal
Chelsea Language Academy
503-2221 Yonge St.
Toronto, Ontario Canada M4S 2B4
www.ChelseaLanguageAcademy.com or www.ChelseaESL.com

John in Brazil - 2009-03-15
Best materials for TOEFL prep

I am a new ESL teacher and have a student with the specific intention of taking the TOEFL and GMAT to pursue a Master's in Business in the US.

Question: What would be the best textbook and materials for him for this specific agenda? I have a solid business background myself, but am not yet familiar with the TOEFL and prep materials. I've found lots of prep materials listed, but I'm hoping to hear from someone with some first-hand experience in using particular materials. My thanks in advance!

PS If anyone has interest in teaching here in Brazil, drop me a line. The market is very good.

Return to Index › Best materials for TOEFL prep

Go to another board -