TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China
#1 Parent NPN Gains - 2009-03-24
Re: General help with hours of work, China

Teaching the same lesson 32 times a week for about 2300 Kwai x 4 a month was what I did here for the first 3 weeks of my teaching,and beyond.Was I overpaid for regurgitating the same lesson 32 times for that money? I'd say not,because it was very boring as it was so repetitive - the high salary was necessary to offset the boredom,which it didn't do to a large extent.
But now that I'm down to 16 classes a week for about 4500 a month,I'd regard that as being overpaid because the boredom factor of the repetition is much reduced and I've got loads of free time now while still occupying free accommodation.
But a fellow FT told me she couldn't bear only 16 classes a week because too much free time would bore her.She'd be happy on 25 a week,which I wouldn't be.
As for your previous comment about you personally having a job that gives you enough time to do research,I think 16 a week fulfills that role too.Back in the UK,having a job teaching 16 x 40 minutes a week,only having to prepare one lesson a week,not having to mark any homework,and not having to give end of term oral exams,wouldn't be officially classified as a full-time job by a long way!
Maybe you wouldn't find my middle school job here intellectually stimulating enough,but having lazed around on the buroo back home for 2 years before venturing to China,I'm not complaining about my job in that respect.
However,I've got one or two different kinds of problems here to deal with,which I reckon I've now solved,and which I won't go into much detail about on this board,except to say that my bosses are bungling lions while others are grovelling weasels,but I'm a croc that bites hard!In spite of my problems here,I still feel I'm overpaid for what I do.Maybe some lions think I'm even more overpaid for what I do than I think I am,so their problems with me will be compounded.But I don't care about that,after all would-be cheats should be put in their place,and I'm not averse to giving them a hard time.
The main thing is that depite the problems I've encountered here,unlike them,I shouldn't intentionally cheat my pupils in the classroom,where I should do my best to teach as well as I can.I believe I'm doing so,so my conscience is clear,and in my view that's all that counts. But lions and groveling weasels might well have the opposite view. That's their problem,not mine!Time will tell whetherv they dare to attack again after their bites have healed,LOL!

Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China

Go to another board -