TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › ADULT LEARNERS AND MIXED TENSE ABILITY
#1 Parent Aubrey - 2009-04-04
Re: ADULT LEARNERS AND MIXED TENSE ABILITY

Hi!
After a year of business teaching and looking for students online I came back here again and read your post.
I have been teaching English conversation practice for more than 3 years but that is not enough of course.
When your student talk about a certain topic he can combine those 3 tenses accordingly. If he is talking about the action done in the past then he can use thepast tense and talk about the present action then he can shift to the present tense ; When I was a teen-ager, I prefer to.. I planned to ..in the future...currently I am...
I hope this helps..

Aubrey

EMMA - 2009-03-31
ADULT LEARNERS AND MIXED TENSE ABILITY

Hello to all my fellow esl teachers worldwide,
I was wondering if you could help.
I am in the process of preparing a conversation lesson for an adult learner (intermediate). He has quite solid foundations and can use present, past and future tenses. However, he finds it more difficult in discussions where he is forced to use all three simultaneously.
I was wondering if you had and ideas or suggestions for activities which would encourage him to flit from one tense to another.
I considered a lesson in which he would be asked to comment and compare what life is like today with what it was like years ago and what it will be like in years to come.
What do you think? Have you too encountered this before with your students?
Thanks for your help.

Return to Index › ADULT LEARNERS AND MIXED TENSE ABILITY

Go to another board -