TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: clarity helps
#1 Parent alex - 2009-04-05
Re: clarity helps

The practical concerns you speak of could be neatly summarized in a short paragraph or two, and then, perhaps, be posted and re-posted. But to the say the same thing again and again, to dwell on the negatives and to rile against those who disagree with you seems to me a colossal waste of time. Sometimes it appears to be a contest: who can the most creatively slam EFL in China, its recruiters and its franchise schools? It seems to have snowballed into the mundane. Moreover, the creativity aspect seems to have been carried off in the wind. Can you imagine how many potentially worthwhile contributors to this forum have lost their inclination to do so simply because of the overuse of the adjective "crappy." Good lord, surely you guys can come up with more worthwhile and descriptive invectives; after all, aside from your laudable endeavor to steer FTs away from dangerous waters, aren't you really just practicing your writing skills and your ability to persuade and dissuade?

Nevertheless, I do agree with your analogy about crocs and gators. I definitely wouldn't much care which one was eating me - it would be far too painful an experience to allow for reflection of that nature. Or, to be more specific, clarity wouldn't much matter in that situation. Albeit, we're not actually in a situation where clarity or specificity becomes meaningless - especially when our personal observations and experiences have led us to the belief that we must share those observations and experiences with more than a few idol passers by. In short, I can't imagine asking a nearby, horrified onlooker to please define exactly what it is I'm being eaten by; however, I can imagine an inexperienced teacher who has stumbled on to this website being confused because of someone's inability or lack of motivation to be succinct.

Truly, if we want someone to follow our counsel or to be enlightened by our experiences, wouldn't it be wise to stay within the boundaries of reasonable discourse?

Finally, here's a challenge for you and the few others here who can't escape the use of "crappy." Can you actually find a more suitable adjective? How 'bout alligatorish or crockadilly, or maybe even "fantastically fecal."

Return to Index › Re: clarity helps

Go to another board -