TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: -CHINA- National Holidays: Been asked to 'volunteer' on the holidays
#1 Parent Turino - 2009-04-28
Re: -CHINA- National Holidays: Been asked to 'volunteer' on the holidays

Honesty is always the best policy. In this situation I would even consider it a means by which FTs can show that we are not woven of the same cloth as so many of our employers.

In addition, you have not questioned whether or not I would condone a runner. Indeed, without knowing me in the slightest, you state that I would not. Fair enough - I won't fault you for guessing.

Twasn't a guess,my honourable friend.Twas the application of logic.
You have stated that 'honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.Doing a runner is dishonest,as is lying,of course.So,in line with your statement re 'honesty',you are bound not to condone anything dishonest,such as the telling of mere white lies,and doing a runner!
A pity be it that many Chinese employers do not believe in honesty always being the best policy.But I'm afraid that reality is reality!

#2 Parent 4perusal - 2009-04-28

Nough said, indeed. Why? Are your words the where all and end all? I think not.

As to your notion of entitlement, I wouldn't agree that one is entitled to lie simply because he/she is in the proximity of or even surrounded by liars. But then I am given to what you would no doubt consider the naive notion that one's own personal sense of honor is at stake. Could be I spent too much time engaged in Japanese culture.

In addition, you have not questioned whether or not I would condone a runner. Indeed, without knowing me in the slightest, you state that I would not. Fair enough - I won't fault you for guessing. However, such an assertion strays from the topic of lying and wanders into another sphere entirely. If you'd like to know my opinion on that particular subject, please feel free to ask.

Never enough said. Or, as a friend of mine used to say, "You can always take a thought one step higher."

#3 Parent The Owl - 2009-04-28

I fully agree with Turino.

#4 Parent Turino - 2009-04-28

I fully agree with you. Honesty is always the best policy. In this situation I would even consider it a means by which FTs can show that we are not woven of the same cloth as so many of our employers.

I fully disagree with you.
It depends on the situ.If you're dealing with rascals,you are entitled to play them at their own game if it's in your own interests to do so.
Ideals are one thing,but what happens in practice is another.So,according to your philosophy,you'd never condone an FT doing a runner.Nough said!

#5 Parent 4perusal - 2009-04-27

I fully agree with you. Honesty is always the best policy. In this situation I would even consider it a means by which FTs can show that we are not woven of the same cloth as so many of our employers.

Return to Index › Re: -CHINA- National Holidays: Been asked to 'volunteer' on the holidays

Go to another board -