TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".
#1 Parent doesitmatter - 2009-05-04
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".

Yes, you're right about the "group mentality;" at least in the cities. In the villages I've been to I've noticed a higher sense of caring for one another. Perhaps, though, that's more about bonding through hardship than anything else. And then of course there's the age old concept of "the others" to consider. That is, anyone outside the village or extended family was mistrusted or even held in low esteem. It seems, too, that once they make it into the cities any pretense of compassion quickly wanes. Even my Chinese girlfriend, originally a villager, states that most Chinese people have a general feeling of disdain for each other.

I do, however, see a certain degree of loyalty within the classroom and even on the campus at large, so I often wonder to what degree that holds true after they graduate. Naturally, the issue of guanxi is relevant; that is, if they think there will be the possibility of advancement through maintaining certain relationships, they will definitely do so.

As for Chinese culture and customs, well, hmmm, after nearly six years here, I'm still trying to put my finger on it. It certainly works as a justification for them, doesn't it? When pressed to explain their reasoning behind just about any action, it's more often than not, "well that's our culture." Nope, ain't gonna buy it.

In response to my post you wrote, "Even if they had the skills,they couldn't all get career jobs.There simply aren't enough of those kind of jobs available." Couldn't agree more. So, from a sociological standpoint, how is that going to play out in say twenty or thirty years down the road? I mean, seriously, that's a lot of folks not contributing to the betterment of society.

In recent years, it's been suggested by certain talking heads that if this whole thing fails economically speaking, we'll see a whole lot of Chinese spilling across borders - or trying to do so. That's not a pretty picture. So it comes back to the very meaningful question of education, which we all know is pretty much proving to be a dead end street for millions of young people who, as we've noted, will be unemployed and perhaps wandering aimlessly and unwilling to get their hands dirty "down on the farm." Which raises another interesting question. Well there be a return to the days of "sent down" young people?

#2 Parent Turino - 2009-05-04

Hah! Now there are millions of unemployed young graduates who haven't the skills to engage in a meaningful career. How frustrating that must be for them. But then I also find it amazing that most English major students, when asked what their career goals are, reply that they want to join an international business company. They just don't get it..........

Even if they had the skills,they couldn't all get career jobs.There simply aren't enough of those kind of jobs available.But what's worse is that the cleverer and more knowledgeable students take great delight in feeling superior to their peers,even though they'll be in trouble too in the ultra competitive job market.Character-wise the Chinese way,and not to be admired!Look up to bosses,good or bad ones while looking down on others - one extreme or t'other!

As for career goals, lately I've been asking them, no, practically pleading with them, to consider other majors such as Environmental Studies. Ha! Not much interest there. Not that I'm surprised by that, but you'd think that some of them would take some interest in it. After all, most of them profess to have a great deal of pride in their country.

This love of their country is something that many of them adopt,in order to to be accepted by Chinese society.But when they're let down by said society,by being unable to get the kind of jobs they feel they rightfully deserve to get,they despair and become negative about their lives.They generally want to start their working lives as 'xiao louban',ie little bosses,and are very disappointed when they can't.The rich ones use special relationships to get middle class jobs,or spend their parents' money to study abroad,not as you might think to get skills,but to give themselves a big advantage by returning with a recognised degree certificate,an option they see as preferable to getting a worthless degree from a run-of-the mill Chinese university!Of course,they can also escape being forced to study hard at middle school here,or entering a redbrick Chinese university by studying abroad.And maybe get a better job here than they could otherwise get once they return with a Western degree.Last,this group mentality is often just a pretence.A good example of this is whenever Chinese sports teams play they almost always do badly because the team members can never be team players.They're too selfish individually to play as a team!So,any louwai who claims to love Chinese customs and culture is either lying,or just plain dumb in my opinion!The last statement without exception.But of course,there are always exceptions to the other things I've posted above.

#3 Parent doesitmatter - 2009-05-03

Yes, indeed, it is all about revenue and deception isn't it? Let me relate something that recently happened at the college where I'm employed. The leaders have decided that there's way too much paper being used to print material for the students. Bottom line there of course is that it's cutting into their profits. And, believe me it's not about their concern for the environment. Their solution to the "problem" is that from now on if we want something printed, we have to give it to the classroom monitor several days in advance. The monitor must then have it approved. At that point, if approved, then the cost will be borne by the students in that particular class. Naturally, this will cut down on the use of paper because few of us want to be responsible for making the students bear the cost; after all, they're not all rich. Unfortunately, it will also cut down on creative lesson planning.

I guess I should add that it's not solely about the revenue because it's also about graduating a huge population of students who would otherwise be wandering around aimlessly. But that's another disturbing factor and this is where the deception comes in. They are deceived into believing that an English major degree is the holy grail of future employment. Hah! Now there are millions of unemployed young graduates who haven't the skills to engage in a meaningful career. How frustrating that must be for them. But then I also find it amazing that most English major students, when asked what their career goals are, reply that they want to join an international business company. They just don't get it..........

As for career goals, lately I've been asking them, no, practically pleading with them, to consider other majors such as Environmental Studies. Ha! Not much interest there. Not that I'm surprised by that, but you'd think that some of them would take some interest in it. After all, most of them profess to have a great deal of pride in their country.

Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".

Go to another board -