TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything"
#1 Parent Native English Speaker - 2009-05-19
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything"

Adam Harbinson of Shane English School of Dalian has kindly sent me a PM to clarify the situation:

Certainly,

We are only able to obtain Z-visas for native English speakers from the local government's list of recognised native speaking countries. Applicants must have a valid passport from one of these countries if we are to successfully apply for a working visa.

Regards,

Adam.

#2 Parent cunning lingist - 2009-05-18

Really? But what you may infer from an advert and what I may infer from an advert will be different, particularly when there are several posts that call into question the credentials of this business. Now I can't offer an informed view on Shane as I have not experienced this company, but like all advertising it pays to be cautious about claims being made: - "implied" is a much better way of decribing it rather than " Most probably..." which I feel suggests an element of belief on your part in what they say. And this is what disturbs me most in this area of work (ESL), - it's easy to be duped.

It's possible that Shane are expressing a preference (or maybe prejudice), and dress it up with some phoney regulation. In other words you have answered my post by suggesting that it could be a "fabrication" for the reasons you gave, of discouraging non-native speakers from applying. Even if Shane are being honest and there is a "regulation", I still don't think the distinction should be between non-native v. native speakers but between those who are capable of doing a good job and those who would be out-of-their depth trying to teach.

#3 Parent Native English Speaker - 2009-05-17

I was just stating what the Shane advert implied, not that its contents were written in stone!
One would have thought that a long-established recruiter such as Shane ought to be aware of current Chinese visa regulations. But I'll grant you what Shane has placed in the ad could be a fabrication concocted to discourage non-native speakers from applying there.
That said, those who are displeased with my statement re it being a good thing if native speakers of English were only eligible for Z visas as foreign teachers of English owe it to me to click on: http://www.ycielts.com/main_guandian.php and then click on each of the four individual links, "Feeling of IELTS School". I think after having done so you'll have no choice but to agree with my statement because you'll have found it painfully easy to identify the two pieces that were composed by non-native speakers of English!

#4 Parent Turino - 2009-05-17

WHOAAAAAAAAAA!!! very funny...I have been with many native speakers here ( I am not ) but they can't hardly express good English (lol) they are from native speaking countries you know? Their grammar..

What about your English?I reckon can't hardly is wrong.You should replace it with "can hardly"...LOL!
No matter,we all make mistakes - nobody is perfect.
Having said that,let me say I found your post enlightening and humourous.

#5 Parent MAC - 2009-05-17

WHOAAAAAAAAAA!!! very funny...I have been with many native speakers here ( I am not ) but they can't hardly express good English (lol) they are from native speaking countries you know? Their grammar (lol) e.g one British National working in Tian Shuo said "We IS very good in English" (lol) He arrogantly told that we can use is with the pronoun WE if we regard WE as one. HUH? where the hell he learnt his grammar rules? from England? (lol).Another one, my AMERICAN assistant from VERMONT USA. I asked her what is Philatelist and she answered "it is a latin word she forgot the meaning. (lol) better english huh? Another one J[deleted] from Australia he told me he received high salary because he is a native speaker. When I asked do you know the 8 Parts of Speech. He said Im not into Public Speaking. HUH? (lol) better English HUH? Another Canadian a former colleague. She replied "We HAS a connection with the PSB. (lol) HUH? now check it! Better English from NATIVE SPEAKERS? Those are the few BLUNDERS they made. It is not a mistake cause it is diffferent from slip of the tongue which I also committed sometimes, NOBODY'S PERFECT but too much mistakes is not forgivable that's BLUNDERS...especially if you came from native speaking countries like yours and you came here to teach. Even though you've got a TESOL, CELTA etc..etc... which can be easily acquired online. It does not qualify a formal training isn't (aren't they? lol). I am not generalizing in here okay? PEACE!!! and about that school!!! give it a shot and then tell us okay? And definitely I am not a Native Speaker but I will not exchange my training in English Language with the Language acquisition of yours. Thanks!!!

#6 Parent cunning inguist - 2009-05-17

You wrote:
It seems that non-native speakers of English seeking posts as teachers of English in Liaoning can no longer qualify for Z visas. I'd imagine that this new restriction will also apply to the rest of China. Most probably, this is a consequence of a new regulation that has recently been introduced by the State Education Commission. That is definitely good news for the Chinese EFL Industry and its students.

Having worked in three universities in Liaoning,including at Dalian, but with no experience of private providers I will not comment on Shane. However, I feel your generalisations starting "It seems.. I'd imagine..then, "most probably... " should be challenged. I read the government websites covering legislation and talk to colleagues, particularly the Party Secretary, about what's happening in education at State level. I'm certain that, as she knows my views on improving the education system in China, she would have mentioned such a radical change. I will check with friends in Liaoning province and my agent, who comes from there, to see if what you suppose is actually correct.

I'm sorry but at this stage, this is yet another example on this Forum of one situation in one organisation being extrapolated into a provincial mandate and then a country-wide phenomenon.

As for non-native speakers, one of the best I have worked with is a Belgian who speaks 5 languages fluently. On the other hand, if you would publish here, the "regulation", I will humbly apologise.

#7 Parent Native English Speaker - 2009-05-17

It is good news because obviously native speakers of English generally have much better English than non-native speakers of English. Restricting the issuance of Z visas to native speakers of English should improve the overall quality of the foreign teachers teaching English in China.
As for Shane in Dalian, you will have noted that only teachers holding formal teaching qualifications are invited to apply. So I doubt that that employer is as bad as you make him out to be!

Return to Index › Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything"

Go to another board -