TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › To "EF" or not to "EF? That is the question!!
#1 Parent Nelia Vorster - 2009-06-16
Re: To "EF" or not to "EF? That is the question!!

I have almost 5 years experience teaching in EF, 3 years in China and I am busy with my second year in Indonesia.
It is true that there are some EF schools who do not treat their teachers very well, but that is the case in most large groups. I am very happy at my current school (just outside Jakarta), and I have met people from the schools in Surabaya, and had a really good impression of the schools there. Hope that helps.

#2 Parent Gilbert - 2009-06-09

Hannah -

They pay 30 - 50% less than 95% of the other English schools in China. Currently, we are being made to work six days a week from now until the end of August with no overtime poay and upwards of 55 hours a week.

It's a scam.

Best,

CGM

#3 Parent Teresa - 2009-06-03

Hannah: Don't listen to the naysayers! ha I've been teaching with EF for 2 years in Beijing, China! It's a stand-up company, pays well, offers Western benefits, and although you do work hard...the benefits are very rewarding. Teaching kids is great, no matter where! Check out my blog for lots of photos relating to teaching kids with EF: www.tinchina.typepad.com. Email me if you have any questions! T.

#4 Parent eflfree - 2009-06-02

Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated. Those should be enough reasons. There are plenty of other options. My advice is to look further before making such a leap.

#5 Parent Turino - 2009-06-01

The kids alone is enough for me to quit, but since the new Chinese crackdown on visa laws, I haven't been left with much of a choice.

Gilbert,would you be so kind as to detail the new visa restriction(s) introduced by the Chinese re FT's,as you state above?Thanking you in advance!

#6 Parent Gilbert - 2009-06-01

I don't know about EF in Indonesia, but I have worked at many schools here in China and I am currently working at EF. EF tends to pay lower and make their teachers work harder than any of the other training centers I have ever worked at. I also hope you like kids and traveling around to the outskirts of the city to teach at companies. The kids alone is enough for me to quit, but since the new Chinese crackdown on visa laws, I haven't been left with much of a choice.

My advice to you is this: If you have experience teaching, are personable and well-spoken, and are decent at negotiating, go to Indonesia and have a look around at other schools before you commit EF.

Hope this helps,

CGM

Hannah - 2009-05-31
To "EF" or not to "EF? That is the question!!

Ive been offered a job with EF in Surabaya, Indonesia. So far Ive gained a good impression of them. The interviews were professional, the contract seems sound and I generally have got good vibes from them so far. However, Ive come across many critisms of EF in forums and am wondering whether Im being nave and taking the risk of travelling to the other side of the world and ending up swindled!! Advice please!! Im new to all this! Thankyou!

Return to Index › To "EF" or not to "EF? That is the question!!

Go to another board -