TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › re: age concerns
#1 Parent ANET - 2009-06-05
Re: re: age concerns

Congratulations Theo for speaking up.
In Korea, coming forward as Theo and I did is risky business, because defamation laws in Korea are strictly enforced. I used them myself at one point to get bullies off my back. Unfortunately, in Ulsan, some powerful people, through abuse of power, make a warped use of defamation laws to silence victims and witnesses of the irresponsible and cruel behavior of some hagwon owners.

I too am in my mid-fifties and I know another woman in her fifties who was fired for breaking a leg. She was in the hospital over the Chuseok holiday, so she didn't miss any school time. However, when she appeared at the hagwon in her cast after the holiday, her services were abruptly terminated. It's a shame, she was experienced, she loved children and she was marvelous with them.

Duane:
If you really want to take a chance on Korea and you dont mind working in the morning, you could try E P I K (English Program in Korea). They staff in Public Schools.
If you have a Masters Degree, you could apply with Colleges and Universities.
In those areas, age is not usually an issue.

ANET

#2 Parent Jayvin - 2009-06-04

I'm afraid you're probably right. I knew from the start that it would be harder in the EU, but not to the level that I'm seeing. I've had some positive responses from two schools, but who knows if it's genuine? As for schools that offer guaranteed placement in the EU, especially to Americans, I'm suspicious.

#3 Parent Turino - 2009-06-04

The advice of FT's who've taught both in South Korea and in China should be heeded imo.As you are almost at the ceiling age for foreigners wishing to teach in the former country,maybe it'd be wise for you to forget about teaching there.China's ceiling age for FT's would appear to be 60 at present.And,being a much bigger country,it needs more FT's than South Korea ever will.My advice is that China would be a better choice for you,but having said that,it's your choice in the end.Whatever you decide to do,good luck!

#4 Parent Theo - 2009-06-04

Jayvin,

Of course I suggest that you get verfication and more information than what I can offer you, but when I investigated teaching in Europe a few years back (2004 I think it was) they only wanted folks holding EU Passports for ESL work. I think it's not easy for Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, to obtain decent ESL employment and Europe. Otherwise, most of us would go there. I hope other posters will weigh in on this issue, and please correct me if I am mistaken about requirements/regulations for Euro-ESL work. I recall that so many ESL ads required that the foreigner already be living in that country, such as Germany or Italy, for example.

#5 Parent Jayvin - 2009-06-04

I have the same concerns, as I am a much older than what seems to be the average age for FT's. I am more interested in Europe than Asia, however, as a teaching destination. The age issue is definitely not restricted to that sector, as I found out after 35. Jobs were much harder to find here in the US. While I grin when people think my 22 year old son is my brother, (he hates that!) it hasn't helped me find what I really want in employment. I had one prospective employer say that he did not believe the birth date on my DL. I know he was joking, but barely - still, no help in job placement.

Now that he's grown and doing well on his own, I'm able to move about the planet. If I can't do it as a teacher, I'll be crushed.

#6 Parent Theo - 2009-06-03

Hi, Duane,

From 2003-2008 I taught English in mainland China. In May, 2008 at age 54, I ventured to Seoul, South Korea. When I became ill (not seemingly so serious at the time) my South Korean employers refused to help me in any way. I was hopsitalized in Seoul for three weeks (while there visa cancelled and made illegal), treated, but improperly diagnose, and now I am PERMENANTLY disabled. China is place that is an extremely challenging country/culture in which western teachers are expected to live and work, but South Korea, for me, was truly evil. A place and experience I wouldn;t wish on my worst enemy. I implore you to seek ESL employment elsewhere.

Here is link for the posting I made regarding age and ESL employment:
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=53659

Good luck, and stay away from South Korea! INHUMANE and HORRIBLE!

Also, take heed of very tragic but insightful and illuminating postings on the subject by ANET on this forum as well. Worth reading and paying close attention to!!!

Duane Winn - 2009-06-03
re: age concerns

If anybody can help me with this question, I'd appreciate it.

I am seriously considering teaching ESL in South Korea.

I am 54 years old.

Is that a concern for prospective employers?

I'm planning on getting TESOL/TEFL certification in August. I'd like to know before I spring for expense.

Return to Index › re: age concerns

Go to another board -