TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: metamorphosis
#1 Parent znarf akfak - 2009-06-26
Re: metamorphosis

Well said; however, what I often find written in this particular corner of cyberspace goes way beyond the importance of warning others about the dangers of strolling through the EFL fields of China. Yes, I agree that we need to somehow adapt to the abrasive language and the ungentlemanly conduct, and, believe me, I have had to force myself into that sort of acceptance, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be mentioned from time to time with the hope that some posters may make an effort to tone it down a little bit. Moreover, it seems that by lowering my expectations too much I will place myself in a position of accepting that being abusive to others when, clearly, there is an alternative, is acceptable behavior.

People often react with anger and frustration. That's a given, whether it be in writing or speaking. Yet, again, aren't we all professionals, and shouldn't our education have placed us a step closer to that point where we recognize that aggressive behavior only breeds more aggressive behavior? Back in the days of snail mail only, it was advised that once you have written a reactionary sort of letter, especially if it was laced with vitriol, it might be better to hold onto it for a few days before mailing it off. Maybe that's what's needed. A little more time for reflection. In addition, I was once taught that being inquisitive rather than accusative will usually bring much better results. I wish I could always remember that, but of course being human I often forget it.

Yeah, free speech is great. Too often, though, it is the loudest voice that gets the most attention. The quiet man, who may very well be the one with the most reasoned thoughts, will often walk away from the din, silent and unheard. I can well imagine that it is much the same here. Those who could add immeasurably to certain threads in these forums, whose eloquence could perhaps enlighten us, may very well click that all to easily clicked mouse button and wander off to another corner of this expanding cyberspace where the language is softer and the voices are more reasoned and taunts are left unstated.

Return to Index › Re: metamorphosis

Go to another board -