TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › How do I improve English Corner
#1 Parent HireEd - 2009-07-06
Re: How do I improve English Corner

Sorry, a few more thoughts and suggestions...

You say: "The Chinese English teachers have never attended our English Corner, which I understand is very common throughout China.
- The Chinese English Teachers mainly speak chinese to the students in class which is infuriating.

- Western movies are shown with Chinese language sub-titles which means the brain reads the words but does not listen to the English.
The Chinese English Teachers seem to view their jobs as strictly "Going by the Clock," and seem to have no interest in doing anything, but finishing the text book,(which is primarily written in Chinese), and completing the exam."

- - - - -

OK, this is my take on the things above that you mentioned in your original post:

In my experience, Chinese English teachers avoid interaction with foreign teachers because they are afraid to reveal their true English-speaking skill. They often feel it is not "good enough" to engage with a native speaker. When I first arrived in China, I couldn't understand why my Chinese counterparts were so "stand-offish" (when my students were so friendly and hospitable) until someone it explained it to me. Their primary skill is explaining English grammar, which IMHO, they do better than we do -- and besides, students HATE grammar lessons and so leave that boring stuff to the Chinese instructors.

I would tell my Chinese students that grammar is important, but more so in writing than speaking. I tell them grammar is like a box and you want to be free of the box. I ask them; "Do you think about grammar when you speak Chinese?" They always say 'No!" So then I say: "Well, the same is true for me. If think about English grammar, then I can't speak English." I tell them to speak out, don't worry about the grammar, and if they make a mistake I will help them. It's all part of improving speaking ability, for anyone. I reassure them that most native speakers don't employ such fine grammar themelves, especially when speaking.

As for Chinese teachers "going by the clock" and teaching directly from the book, keep in mind that's how they were taught, and therefore have no models for a different way of teaching except by drilling and repetition (ugh, shoot me now!). This is why most Chinese students get excited about having a foreign teacher. They don't know what they'll get, but they're pretty sure it will be quite different from their Chinese teachers' mind-numbing methods. I truly believe FTs are hired as much for our style of teaching and learning, as for the subject of English itself.

So much of what I was teaching did not necessarily have to with teaching ENGLISH, but merely using English as a vehicle to discuss life topics, challenges and issues. They have so many amzing questions that we could never anticipate, as I'm sure you know all too well!

As for the movie dilemma, this is what I did with "Movie Show"... I would show the film with English subtitles only. No Chinese subtitles. Of course, that will make it far more challenging for some, but it WILL make them stronger. The mistake I feel many FTs make, is by being too passive during the showing of a film. While the movie is showing, I would write words/phrases/idioms (films are LOADED with idioms) being spoken on the board and stop the film every 10-15 minutes to discuss the words and situations to make sure the students understood what was going on.

Many times the students understand the words, but don't understand WHY the characters are saying and doing what they do. The cutlures are SO different, and therefore what seems like a normal response to us, is often perplexing to them. (I had similar feelings about Chinese films, until I lived in China for a while.)

I would also select films that the students had likely NOT seen on their own; ones that showed REAL life situations in my home country that they otherwise might not have known. The film "Witness" for example, was a favorite with my students because they had no previous knowledge of Amish people or culture, and that the story was "present day." Also, I was able to draw parallels between the Amish and traditional Chinese values and practices. The film also had enough action and suspense (and sex) to keep them intrigued.

They will watch Star Wars, Harry Potter and other Hollywood blockbusters on their own, without any help from us. Also these films are fantastic in nature and offer less illumination about real life, cultures, and challenges.

I'm sorry to have gone on and on here, but I guess your question just triggered an avanlanche of response from me. I hope some of will be useful to you in the future.

Again, good luck, and enjoy!

#2 Parent HireEd - 2009-07-06

Hi, Steve. Many foreign teachers dislike doing ECs for many of the reasons you mentioned. I was thrown into them as soon as I began teaching in China (mostly in training centers) and I quickly learned to love them. I thought of them more as a sort of "talk show" where I was drawing out students and facilitating discussion. I always had a topic prepared, but didn't always tell that to the students; encouraging them to initiate their own topics instead, which usually triggered more lively discussions. I found if I was too prepared, then the EC could almost become a sort of "lecture," which many students like, but it does not help improve their English-speaking skills. In the beginning, the attendees are likely to ask you the stock questions regarding your background (family, home country, likes/dislikes, etc.) That's fine in the beginning, but whenever someone asks me such questions, I return the same question to them.

The big problem can be when some students come consistently (and therefore, oldies) while others come for the first time. The new ones will ask the same old questions you answered in the beginning, because they too, want to be more familiar with you. When that situation occurred, I asked the students who knew me well to tell the new ones the answers to the question.

Again, even though I always had a discussion topic ready, I would always say to students: "I'm not a topic machine," which usually got a laugh. I tried also to alternate "fun" topics with a more serious one the next time.

Keep in mind that Chinese students are not encouraged to speak their perosnal opinion about things, and so when you ask them to do so, they like it, but are somewhat afraid to do it, as they have been conditioned against it. Also, they fear what others will think of their personal opinions. Group mentality is very important and individual opinions are discouraged. My students came to trust that I would create an environment where personal expression was fostered and supported (and by that I don't mean that necessarily agreed with people's various opinions).

Some time I would bring a short newspaper article to read together (dividing readings among them to encourage speaking and pronunciation) and then ask them to express their thoughts/ideas about the article's topics. This usually worked very well.

Gain their trust. Let them know that ALL speaking is encouraged, and that skill levels cannot elevate if they don't speak up.

Some attendees will be completely silent in the beginning -- just watching and observing (remember, they're terrified of making a mistake and being ridiculed by others), but in time (and the positive atmosphere you create) they will eventually speak up.

Have fun, and make the EC yours. Everyone has a different approach/style. Even of the listeners cannot understand everything you say, they will certainly know if you are enjoying yourself, or not. Of all the teaching I did in China, ECs are what I miss most.

Also, one more bit of advice. If you throw a question to the group, allow for a LONG pause before a repsonse. This is usually because they are translating your questionm in their head, forming and answer in Chinese, and then translating into English. Don't assume n one wants to answer the question, they are just preparing. Also, as you get know the students better, it is better to direct questions to individuals. If you throw out a question to the group, even though someone wants to speak, they are afraid of going first. Even native speakers are that way in public forums.

Again, I hope you enjoy, and the more you do, the easier (hopefully) ECs will become.

#3 Parent HireEd - 2009-07-06

Excellent suggestion from poster tip. About once a month, I would do what tip suggests and the results were usually good. Keep in mind that the kind of western songs YOU might like, is not necessarily the same kind of western music THEY like. They tend to like "happy," positive, optimistic songs. We westerners tend to like a little cynicism and rebellion in ours.

#4 Parent tip - 2009-07-06

Do they listen to western music? listening and reading the lyrics at the same time could help - try a class with karaoke.

Good luck!

steve - 2009-07-06
How do I improve English Corner

I have been teaching at a 3 year Community college in China for one year.
I am the only Foreign Teacher at this College.
The standard contract states that I hold English Corner every week.
My understanding, is that EC runs well when the students select activities and topics.
with the foreign teacher staying in the background.
The students at this college have in many cases never met a foreigner. Many students come from farms and small villages.
As we Foreign teaches in China know, the art of creative thinking is new to Chinese students.
The students at the college say the talk time is very boring, but they are not willing to come up with ideas .. Brain freeze is rampant.
I have tried interactive word games, songs, warm ups, breaking the large group into small jig saws. Finding topics that are of interest to this computer, QQ generation. such as sports , celebrities , finding a job, role playing. but we are not moving forward or feeling free to talk.
The Chinese English teachers have never attended our English Corner, which I understand is very common throughout China.
- The Chinese English Teachers mainly speak chinese to the students in class which is infuriating.
- Western movies are shown with Chinese language sub-titles which means the brain reads the words but does not listen to the English.
I feel for some of the students who are personally driven to try and improve their English skills , full knowing that they may find better jobs.
The Chinese English Teachers seem to view their jobs as strictly "Going by the Clock," and seem to have no interest in doing anything, but finishing the text book,(which is primarily written in Chinese), and completing the exam.
Any ideas for english corner .. I am staying one more year, becaus eI love the students and I feel I can in someway open the doors.

Return to Index › How do I improve English Corner

Go to another board -