TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Racism in China
#1 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-07-16
Re: Racism in China

And do you think that would alter their attitudes to NON CHINESE?

#2 Parent Solutions - 2009-07-15

Do foriegners here in China have ANY recourse for these things?

Yes. You can leave.

#3 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-07-06

The incidents you write about are both disgracefu and disgusting. Racism wherever it occurs is simply not acceptable.

However, may I ask if the racism that your wife suffered happened every day or were these somewhat isolated incidents?
When your wife walked down a street did people shout 'foriegner' at her many times every day? When you and your wife sat in a restaurant did parents bring their children to your table to point and laugh and ridicule her? Was she asked to pay more for the goods she bought in a shop than the local 'white' people?

Was she laughed at every day because she didn't look the same as 'local' people? Was she expected to do work for free because she was not the same Nationality? Did taxi drivers shout insults at her as they drove past? Did groups of young men shout 'Kamusta' at her everywhere she went and then laugh out loud? Did people talk about her ,in front of her, everyday because they were so ignorant they didnt realise she could understand what they were saying?

Were children encouraged to laugh and point at her? Did people nudge each other and snigger when they saw her? Did men scowl at her? Did she ( and you ) not have recourse for these things?

Do foriegners here in China have ANY recourse for these things?

I sympathise with you ex wife I honestly do, for I know what it is like to be a victim of racism. I know what it is like to be a white man in China.

Return to Index › Re: Racism in China

Go to another board -