TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Racism in China
#1 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-07-27
Re: Racism in China

'And still no reply, I wonder why?'

#2 Parent buzzoff - 2009-07-12

'....Some international schools reject blacks whose native language is English, and hire whites whose first language is not, as English language teachers. This is dictated by the pupils' parents, according to the reports.....'

'......When I browse Internet forums and blogs here, I'm under the constant impression that we have millions of Kenneth Engs spewing fire and poison like an army of deranged dragons. They start by hating people from Henan Province because some egregious crimes happened there. Then they denounce any place that receives negative news coverage or any people whose opinions differ from theirs......'

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2007-03/17/content_829911.htm

#3 Parent Turino - 2009-07-07

Racism exists everywhere in the world.Western employers practise it by finding fault other than race with coloreds they don't wish to employ.The difference here is that because there are no laws against explicitly mentioning it,employers will place it in their ads for vacancies to be filled.The world is unfair,and always will be.Expect racial discrimination never to be comopletely eliminated.Governments can pass legislation,but that doesn't change people's views.In the good ole USA,a whole Washington DC street of white villa owners sold up because one rich black family moved in!

#4 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-07-06

I can. It's RACISM !
I wonder how a 'cultivated mind' would explain it.

#5 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-07-06

Will you, with your cultivated mind, be visiting the families of the dead to explain this view of yours?

... 'Does racism exist in China to the degree that it exists in many other countries. I would say no. I think, too, that in this context we need to compliment China for its Minority Protection Act - as I think it's called'.

I would be very interested to hear their reactions.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20090706/tpl-uk-china-xinjiang-02bfc7e.html

#7 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-07-06

MY post lacks acumen?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090706/twl-china-says-at-least-140-dead-in-riot-696b303.html

Seems there are a many racists in China afterall !

#8 Parent Dragon - 2009-07-06

APPLICANTS FROM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, CANADA, GREAT BRITAIN, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICAN (EUROPEAN ANCESTRY AND NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS ONLY), EUROPEAN UNION PASSPORT HOLDERS WITH NEAR-NATIVE FLUENCY, CANDIDATES FROM SOUTH AMERICA OF EUROPEAN ANCESTRY WITH EXTENSIVE LIVING EXPERIENCE (10 PLUS YEAR IN AN ENGLISH-SPEAKING COUNTRY).
Because of government regulations in the province, we require a university degree from a recognized university.

Can anyone explain!

#9 Parent Andrew Dewittr - 2009-07-05

Jack Snaping it...!

My Opinion ...I don't need to really justify...
I realize it is subjective...

I have heard... my own students discussing this subject...!

As some one mentioned... previously in this thread...

My emperical experiences... are what I have lived witnessed, and yes,heard...first hand...

Now... weather you want to accept it or not, is a whole other thing...

Cheers!

#10 Parent Paladin - 2009-07-05

...In addition, in my opinion, Chinese would like to be White.

I have heard Chinese of medium or dark complexions refer to them selves as "Black".

As someone mentioned "Fair" or light/white skin is held in high regard in China.

I still adamantly stand by my assertation; Yes, Chinese want to be white....

In fact, that is my "empirical" experience...

Bold statements, Mr. Dewitte.
EMPIRICAL - provable or verifiable by experience or experiment.

Let's begin.

#11 Parent ruserious - 2009-07-05

"1. Where is the legislation preventing racial discrimination in China?

2. Have you never asked how the Chinese people view Japanese people?

3. Heard of cloud cuckoo land?

I repeat, DISGUSTING !

From the very young to the very old RACISM is rampant here.

End of story. "
eng. teacher

This is from an English teacher? Obviously, question number one, though rhetorical, is rather nonsensical; that is, if there were such legislation we can assume that it wouldn't be hidden. Nevertheless, let's suppose there is racism in China. How would that racism be addressed? Moreover, shouldn't we be approaching it as a comparative question; that is, are there any countries where the population is totally free of racism. Of course not. Does racism exist in China to the degree that it exists in many other countries. I would say no. I think, too, that in this context we need to compliment China for its Minority Protection Act - as I think it's called.

Number two above is the real kicker. This, let's remember, is written by a self-proclaimed English teacher. Obviously, the question should have been written in this manner: Have you ever asked Chinese people how they view Japanese people? If the question is framed in the manner as written by eng. teacher, it suggests that he is merely asking if anyone (could be anybody from anywhere) has been asked about how the Chinese feel about the Japanese people. Aside from that poor demonstration of writing skills, though, and, as a partial answer, yes, there is residual hatred for the Japanese. Is this rampant? No. Is this racism? Lets not forget that Nationalism is often bred through identifying a common enemy. Does that carry the same implication as racism. Personally, I think not; however, others may disagree with me and I can live with that. As for the question itself, in the way it was meant to be written, yes, I have discussed the issue of hatred for the Japanese with many students. True enough, some students, without stopping to think about it, admit to hating the Japanese. However, when questioned further, they realize that they should focus their hate on those who committed the atrocities rather than the Japanese citizens and especially those who weren't even born more than 60 years ago.

"Heard of cloud cuckoo land?" Very mature. Not totally unexpected, though, from what is obviously not a cultivated mind.

"From the very young to the very old RACISM is rampant here." It is incomprehensible to me how anyone could hold this view about everyone in such a vast land populated by 56 minorities and so many diverse cultures and beliefs. Are the Han people somewhat snobbish? Yeah, some are. Are Shanghai people quite snobbish? Yes, or so I'm told anyway. Do Beijing people think they're the cats meow? Yep. Racism in its pure form? I don't think so.

Apparently, the poster has some serious growing up to do. English teacher? No possible way.

#12 Parent Paladin - 2009-07-05

Your post lacks acumen.

#13 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-07-04

1. Where is the legislation preventing racial discrimination in China?

2. Have you never asked how the Chinese people view Japanese people?

3. Heard of cloud cuckoo land?

I repeat, DISGUSTING !

From the very young to the very old RACISM is rampant here.

End of story.

#14 Parent Andrew Dewitte - 2009-07-04
Re: Racism in China Re: wolf totem

...Despite your justifications and your extended "quote"...

I still adamantly stand by my assertation; Yes, Chinese want to be white....

In fact, that is my "empirical" experience...

I am historically aware of some of the problems that Chinese and other Orientals had assimilating into American society...

Yet... On the other hand...
Kurt Vonegut stated in Breakfast of Champions( in the 1970)...

"Chinese are White people"

...And since racism is always bases on highly subjective criterion anyway.... Blah...Blah...Blah....

#15 Parent WOLF TOTEM - 2009-07-03

This quote, as it stands, is ridiculous. You are wrong. Chinese do not want to be White or any other color. However, if you insert some next to Chinese, thus becoming some Chinese, then you would be correct.

There is in any society that is nonwhite, a small percentage of persons that would prefer to be white for social, economical and psychological reasons.

Consider the below quotes from:

The Discourse of Whiteness:
Chinese-American History, Pearl S. Buck, and The Good Earth
http://www.americanpopularculture.com/journal/articles/spring_2002/spencer.htm

Even though whiteness, like all racial categories, is not an objective, self-evident entity, it is privileged in a system in which whiteness is constructed as the standard or norm against which all other racial categories are measured. Despite the subjectivity of racial categorization, non-whites are, as Derrick Bell argues, "marked with the caste of color in a society still determinedly white" (75). Thus, being white is to be non-raced, normal, or neutral, and discussions of race have traditionally applied only to those who are perceived as other than white.

The desire of immigrants to be classified as whites intensified as more immigrants from Eastern Europe arrived in greater numbers, and as second and third generations of immigrants assimilated into American culture. The descendants of the first generation of Irish immigrants, for example, were better educated and enjoyed better occupational mobility than their parents. President Abbot Lawrence of Harvard University exemplifies the readiness of dominant culture to accept the Irish as American on the basis of their whiteness. The theory of "universal political equality," Lawrence said, "should not be applied to 'tribal Indians,' 'Chinese,' or 'negroes,' but only to whites who can assimilate rapidly" (qtd. in Takaki 163). The Chinese were among the groups of people in America who were denied the opportunity to assimilate.

#16 Parent Andrew Dewitte - 2009-07-02

...Well, of course there is racism in China. At the very least in regards to the hiring of foreign teachers. In general, Chinese seem to have a very deferential attitude toward caucasians in general. Whites could be obese, looking like bums, or even have obvious physical abnormalities (not disibilities) and Chinese are apt to treat them very well.

Also, some Whites will make sereptitious, negative comments about non-White foreign teachers in the presence of Chinese... Of course this only reinforces the negative attitudes that Chinese may have. They will feel that if Whites said it, it must be "true", and then it is more than OK for them to repeat what they have heard.

As someone mentioned "Fair" or light/white skin is held in high regard in China. Perhaps this is even more true in Taiwan. If you don't know... skin whiteners are a top selling product in Asia and in China. Also The Chinese value Europeon culture and products highly. Lastly. just as thoes of Europeon descent have seemingy subjugated the modern world, this appears to also be the dream of the current Chinese...

I have heard Chinese of medium or dark complexions refer to them selves as "Black". They might state it like; "I'm too black!" or He/She's too black!"

In many cases Chinese would much rather bond with Whites, rather than Blacks...And vice versa for Whites...even if thoes Blacks were from the same country as they are....

#17 Parent Laowai With An Attitude - 2009-07-02

You are, of course, correct about much of the Chinese populations attitude towards the Japanese. But, I would hasten to add even this, as you say, understandable attitude is changing slowly. There is great Japanese influence in many Chinese cities, Dalian comes to mind, a beautiful city on the NE China coast that boasts heavy Russian and Japanese architectural heritage, not to mention the heavy influx of Japanese businessmen, tourists and investors. This is just ONE example.

And, with approximately one billion uneducated peasants, who the hell has time to be a racist.

Even though whiteness, like all racial categories, is not an objective, self-evident entity, it is privileged in a system in which whiteness is constructed as the standard or norm against which all other racial categories are measured. Despite the subjectivity of racial categorization, non-whites are, as Derrick Bell argues, "marked with the caste of color in a society still determinedly white" (75). Thus, being white is to be non-raced, normal, or neutral, and discussions of race have traditionally applied only to those who are perceived as other than white. Toni Morrison has called scholars to the task of creating a critical reading practice that foregrounds the construction and representation of whiteness in fiction and allows readers to recognize literature's complicity with the discourse of white supremacy. The reading of whiteness into texts that are not explicitly about race is essential if we are to challenge whiteness as racial norm. Pearl S. Buck's novel, The Good Earth, provides an example of a popular text that, while not overtly concerned with racial construction, contains a subtle discourse that must be read critically from the perspective that Morrison suggests. An examination of the position of Chinese immigrants in the United States in the novel's initial publication and Buck's own racial politics provide crucial elements in an analysis of the subtle racial discourse in The Good Earth.

Passage taken from:

The Discourse of Whiteness:
Chinese-American History, Pearl S. Buck, and The Good Earth
Americana: The Journal of American Popular Culture (1900 - present), Spring 2002, Volume 1, Issue 1
http://www.americanpopularculture.com/journal/articles/spring_2002/spencer.htm

Stephen Spencer
Wilmington College

#18 Parent Turino - 2009-07-02

I have taught in Yuncheng city of Shanxi province,where many of the FT's were from Africa.They were having a great time at school and after school in that city,which has earned the nickname of 'little Africa' because of the large number of Africans there.Not once did any of them mention racial discrimination issues to me.That said,I'd expect there to be some,as everywhere else in the world.But it's not a major problem here in China,and never has been,except for the Japanese.I can understand why the Japanese are disliked very much by many Chinese, given the atrocities,such as the Nanjing massacre that were perpretated on the Chinese by the invaders from Japan.Despite that,China is a very safe country for all foreigners,and there is minimal racial discrimination towards them practised by its people!

#19 Parent Laowai With An Attitude - 2009-07-01

Yes, the quoted article is from the Shanghai Star. However, you are misleading readers by using the June 29, 2009 date. This article is much older - try Shanghai Star. 2003-04-17..

It didn't cause much of a stir then, and I suspect even less after more than six years. Good try, TROLL.

#20 Parent WOLF TOTEM - 2009-07-01

DISGUSTING !

Yes, and so is your blatant attempt to frame the Chinese as being MORE racist from other, all, cultures that have their proponents for racial purity which include every nations inhabitants around the globe.

#21 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-06-30

Take a look at this article from a couple of years ago.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2007-03/17/content_829911.htm

If you need any further proof of how many Chinese truly view non Chinese just take a quick look through the China Daily forum and remember that this is the 'official' voice of the Chinese Govt. DISGUSTING !

#22 Parent Macho Fan - 2009-06-30

Don't judge the whole of China on what can happen to foreigners in Shanghai. Many foreigners in China would never go there to work,only for a vacation,maybe - they know better!

from the Shanghai Star - 2009-06-30
Racism in China

Shanghai Star. 2003-04-17 (6 year old article)

DURING my stay in China all I ever experienced were racial taunts, blatant discrimination and general loathing from the majority" says mixed-race Canadian teacher David Szykulski,

"Han Chinese people are the most openly xenophobic people I have ever met."

Many will tell you racism doesn't exist in China, and evidence is certainly hard to find within a native population of more than 1 billion, but could prejudice against foreigners - especially non-whites - be simmering beneath the surface?

If looking for evidence of racial discrimination one may struggle to find it and examples of actual hatred are even rarer. In fact, as many will state, the Chinese are well known for their politeness and respect towards foreigners.

Many rarely encounter those from abroad - especially those with dark skins - so quizzical curiosity (or reticence) is common, and often misinterpreted. It is certainly true that to clumsily extrapolate race issues in the West onto China misunderstands the people and their beliefs.

But is there an underlying discrimination towards non-whites; maybe rarely exhibited because of infrequent contact, but present nonetheless?

Status discrimination

The word racism evokes images of hate, violence and antagonism, but its definition extends to a belief that some races have an innate superiority to others. Or, as a comment from a student at Chengdu University succinctly demonstrates: "There is no racism in China because there are no black people."

Sociology Professor Yu Hai, who has studied at Fudan University for 17 years, believes a long-standing Chinese tradition of discrimination according to "status" has created an atmosphere conducive to racial prejudice.

"According to your status in society you receive different benefits and power. Rural people and city people; ordinary people and officials. In such a social structure, we can predict that the Chinese will have very strong feelings of racial discrimination."

Yu believes dark-skinned foreigners are likely to face more obstacles than whites, as many Chinese see them as inferior.

Many have ingrained impressions of African wars, famine and disease from the mass media, says the sociology professor. Plus a perception of a dichotomous West with exclusively well-educated and prosperous whites, and poverty-stricken ethnic minorities.

One city resident told the Shanghai Star that "crime is so low in Shanghai because there are no black people."

Other possible root causes could be the perceived "uncouth" behaviour of a minority of African expats during the eighties, which created a negative stereotype. Unfavourable portrayals of dark-skinned characters in movies is also widely cited as unhelpful.

Indians and Filipinos may face prejudice because of a perceived history of subservience to whites, says Yu Hai. And the Japanese are often reviled because of a long history of conflict with China.

There are cultural reasons too. A popular saying "one white covers up a thousand defects" describes a Chinese preference for lighter skin, and its association with beauty and prosperity. Many consider paler skinned women to be more attractive.

David Szykulski believes his skin colour stopped him getting a teaching job, despite his suitable qualifications. On the Hard News Cafe website Indian American Leon D'Souza describes a similar experience.

"I asked if my race would pose a problem. There was dead silence on the other end of the line. With a faint stutter, the principal of the school replied, 'Frankly speaking, we would like our teachers to look professional. I mean, please don't get me wrong, but we would like a white teacher'."

Teaching recruiter Tony Lee confirms that it can be difficult for non-whites, however he says Western English speakers usually encounter fewer problems. More common in teaching circles is discrimination against Africans, Indians and Asians - especially in sophisticated cities like Shanghai. This is based on a perceived view that Western English is "proper" English.

Professor Yu Hai says most will be respectful or even humble when encountering Westerners - even non-whites - but will look down on foreigners from poorer parts of the world. Prosperity and wealth can have a weighty influence. So could country of origin be more important than race to the Chinese? The words zhongzu ("race") and minzu ("nation-race") are distinguished in the Chinese language. However, presumed racial genetic features can transcend "nation-race" according to Chinese History Professor Frank Dikotter at the University of London.

Yu Hai suggests the clearest example of this is a belief that intimate relationships with non-whites are unnatural, irrespective of country of origin.

"If a Chinese woman dates a white man it is social climbing. If she is with a black man, it is 'stepping down'. In this situation, the Chinese will express very strong feelings about ethnicity."

Potential trouble

Today's Chinese students, like Fudan University's Diana Cheung, seem far from outraged however, saying that because cross-cultural relationships are rare in China, the resultant attention and staring they attract is curiosity, not disdain.

She and her fellow students socialise with foreigners of all races, and while agreeing that racial prejudice exists in those with "older ideas", they say that it is seldom seen amongst their contemparies.

As for the future, opinion differs about the impact of an escalating number of foreigners entering China. Interaction could break down false conceptions about non-whites; conversely the influx may evolve in many people's minds into a so-called "threat". Worryingly Yu Hai agrees with the latter prediction.

"Racial issues could become a serious problem as China develops and more foreigners come here seeking a job. Then we would have some conflict."

Whether racial prejudice will become more prominent or prove neglible as many believe it already is, China is continuing to tempt foreigners of all races to its shores, so increasing contact will certainly force the issue further into the open. Richard Fisher

From: http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2003/0417/cu18-1.html - Shanghai Star

Return to Index › Racism in China

Go to another board -