TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Is Teaching ESL a Practical Goal
#1 Parent Felix - 2005-02-09
re

Hello,
I am writing to you as a teacher with no TESOL certificate etc but just in possession of a degree and some years of teaching experience.so i got my teaching job in china because of some teaching experience which i had.But i will strongly encourage you to get an ESL diploma like TESOL or so because that will increase your chances of securing a better ESL job especially as it is becoming increasingly difficult getting an ESL job.Though as a native speaker you can effectively teach English to non-native speakers without necessarily having some teaching experience,those certificates are in a better position to securing a job for you than being a teaching requirement because they are certificates and not teachers.But then that is the only thing that convinces the employer of your abilities.

#2 Parent ShortyRed - 2005-02-08
response to ed

I had no teaching experience nor did I have an EFL/TESOL certificate when I was recruited for my current school. This is my second year of teaching. Some places you can get a job easily simply by having a bachelors degree and being a native speaker of English. I will be signing on with my current school for a third year. I have seen quite a few ads that say "EFL/TESOL or 2 or more years of teaching experience required." I have many friends who teach English as a Second Language and most of them do not have EFL/TESOL certification. I guess it depends on the country you want to teach in. Initially I had looked at teaching in India, but they wanted certification or experience, so I looked elsewhere. I currently teach in China, and am enjoying myself quite a bit.

#3 Parent Luc - 2005-02-07
Teaching

Hi Ed,
Youll find several hundred recruiters and schools promising things. An ESL job most of the time requires additional training not available through short courses or employer instructions. You make your own customized teaching program. Good luck and keep researching. Luc

Ed Holmberg - 2005-02-07
Is Teaching ESL a Practical Goal

I would like to know the experience that any readers may have in securing a first time job placement in ESL. The ads for ESL courses make it seem so very simple, complete a course and you are guaranteed a job, but what is the reality. Can an individual that has enjoyed a career in high technology sales, with a BA degree earned 30 years ago and no actual classroom experience really secure placement after receiving an ESL/TEFLA certificate? I would really appreciate you sharing your experience (good or bad) as to how easy it was to secure a placement, the type of certification that seems to be the best and any anecdotes about the best places or types of institutions to work for.

Thanks

Ed Holmberg

Return to Index › Is Teaching ESL a Practical Goal

Go to another board -