TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › your 'whitness' is showing - or why I don't like the Chinese
#1 Parent ManchuQueue - 2009-08-05
Re: your 'whitness' is showing - or why I don't like the Chinese

I don't think it is a secret that the WEST has come up with every viable component of technology during the last 300 years, or so....

To those of you whom are literate in English - I submit the following. Those with an inquiring mind; you will find opinions expressed here quite interesting, informative and illuminating. Those less gifted, the lemmings, that populate this board will want to pass on silently to more agreeable and easily understood material.

Refutative Evidence

Remember when evaluating the advancement of cultures, to place it in the proper scope of time.
While western culture has reached a peak in the past couple of hundred years, it has recently begun to start sliding slowly backwards.
Our political system (being dominated by special interests and opinions being manipulated by media) is showing its age.
Our economic system (with the development of ever more complex financial instruments and reliance on debt) is showing its flaws as well.
Our industrial and transportation infrastructure (driven by oil) is just beginning to be affected.Yet we are still smug in the assurance that we are the "greatest civilization on earth". Or perhaps, the greatest civilization, ever.
Some of the comments I see -- that Chinese are genetically unable to innovate because they have been selected over millennium to be conformists -- wow.

In addition, the Chinese have really done NOTHING but copy/steal what has been developed in the West (and Japan), in terms of global technology.

All I can say is, you don't know the Chinese. The first thing you do if you want to surpass another culture, is copy everything they do right, improve on it, and sell it back to them. The Chinese understand this -- at the molecular level.
-- Million-Year Picnic

Anyway, one of the leading scholars in the field is Kenneth Pommeranz, who in "The Great Divergence" subscirbes European ascendancy over Asia to the acquisition of material resources in the New World which enabled the Industrial Revolution. The IR then drove European merchants to seek new markets for their surplus, and said merchants were backed by the willingness of Euorpean states to open markets by force. The (not all that overwhelming, but substantive) advantages in military technology--especially naval technology--that the Industrial Revolution afforded Europe allowed them to do so. Once the markets were open opium acted as a literal narcotic upon the Chinese working classes, murdering productivity. China was thus forced to attempt to modernize while facing a major drug problem *and* draining its treasury to pay the indemnities it owed from the Opium Wars and other imperialist ventures.

Ironically, Europeans found the New World (which remember gave them the jump, development-wise on Asia in the first place) because they were looking for direct trade routes to Asia. Asians did not seek direct trade routes to Europe because there was nothing in Europe that any Asian governments deemed were worth mounting voyages of exploration for.
In any case, Western Asia (Europe)'s ascendancy over East Asia seems to have lasted all of 250 years, if that, and in my opinion now that China's resources are wedded to capitalist forms of production it is just a matter of time until East Asia is the world's dominant region.
- dbp1954

....the Mongols. The Mongols are, in my opinion, the single most influential human force in the history of the world prior to the Industrial Revolution. Not only were they one of the, if not the most successful land army the world has ever seen, founding the largest land empire formed to date, but all historical accounts suggest their brutality has only been mildly exaggerated and China bore the brunt.
The Song Dynasty had developed such technologies as gunpowder, movable type, and hydraulics as early as the 12th Century. The Northern capital of the Song, Bianjing, fell to the Jurchen, a neighboring tribe to the Mongols, and over the next 20 years, the Song retreated South until the Mongols came in and finished them off, founding the Yuan Dynasty.
The Yuan, described by a relatively apolitical outsider in the form of Marco Polo, were quite represive towards the native Chinese, largely halting the scientific and engineering developments of the previous era. The Yuan eventually fell apart, of course, leading to a new native dynasty in the form of the Ming, but China never recaptured anything close to the scientific advancement it achieved under the Song.
-- pacobird

The traditional social organization of China mitigates against innovative dynamism. Chinese society has always been dominated by landowners and bureaucrats, two classes that don't get much collective benefit from technological innovation. European societies have always integrated a capital class - merchants, bankers, traders, artisans - to a much greater degree, and they consequently have enjoyed more social prestige and political power, and this is the class that benefits most from technological development (and thus has the most incentive to not only support it but to systemize it). Add in the quasi-religious reverence for stasis of China and the much greater emphasis on the significance of the individual in Western societies, and the end results are not at all surprising.
-- Planetary_Eulogy

Needham devoted the remainder of his life to, on the one hand, documenting how technologically far ahead China had been for millennia when compared to the West, and on the other hand, striving to understand why Europe suddenly jumped in front -- a monumental tectonic shift that dominates the reality of globalization to this day.

I think that act may be over. Asia seems to have seen that remaining competitive in the global economy boiled down to a simple disonance between technology and education. The U.S., by comparison, seems like a lumbering old man with alzheimers-unable to see that its educational and social paradigm is stuck in the late 1890s. (We took from 1890 to 1968 to be leading the way, then from 1968-2008 to find our way back to 1890). Soon scholars will be wondering how the society that invented open heart surgery and the internet and put the first person on the moon was sumarily leapfrogged by Europe and Asia.
-- natesmith124

Foot binding.
The side effect of massively mistreating/torturing the majority of parents (who were actually doing parenting) had all kinds of psychological fallout that totally retarded the national psyche's interest in advancement. Something similar happened to Islam with its increasingly brutal treatment of women from the 1400s onward.

Check out the work's of Lloyd DeMause at psychohistory.com: It's decidely not for the squeamish, but it does present much convincing evidence that societal advancement flows from improvements in childrearing and not the other way around.''
-- No Idea

China in the late Ming dynasty (i.e., 16th and first-half 17th century) was still vibrant, heterodox, and innovative, with widespread interest and contacts with the West and the world in general. So any theories that posit that the decline began before then are bunk. Sure, the government was failing in the late Ming, but dynastic change was nothing new.

It was the Manchu conquest in 1644 that changed everything. The new Qing regime brought censorship in China to new heights, seeking both to control the Chinese populace and co-opt their traditions. Men were forced to dress alike and cut their hair the same way (i.e., in the Manchu style), with a similar set of restrictions for women.

Compare the early 15th-century Yongle Dadian encyclopedia to the 18th-century Siku Quanshu project. Both are massive undertakings designed to promote the legitimacy of the current ruler and a degree of ideological conformity, with one crucial difference: the Ming compilation included "heretical" texts and material written in colloquial Chinese, while the Qing project was, and is, a highly-selective, carefully-edited library of orthodox texts written in literary Chinese. Note also that the Manchu rulers not only stifled Chinese innovation through this kind of orthodoxy, but they also eradicated anything that threatened it -- the Yongle Dadian survives today only in fragmentary form, a tiny proportion of the original whole.
-- rasmus

The printing press played a huge role in the European science and math revolution

First thing -- the literacy rate shot up, because now the Bible could be mass-produced, and Christian people wanted to read the Bible, so they had a motivation to learn to read.

Second thing -- all previous Greek, Indian, and Arab math could be mass produced in volumes translated into Latin.

So -- suddenly Europe has the highest percentage of literate people in the world, and for the first time in the world, works in geometry, algebra and number theory are in print and available to scholars in a single language.

China was not in that loop at all.
-- Silenced

1) It is only in the last 3 or 4 centuries that the "rest of the world" -the West made some really spectacular advances in science and technology.
2) Creative thought and science usually flourish in periods of relative prosperity. For the West much of that prosperity came in the post 16th century from the colonies. For much of the last 1000 -1500 years Asia has been preoccupied with warfare invasions,and colonization. Enslaved cultures are generally not so creative or innovative because (A) they are robbed of wealth (B) they are suppressed.
3) It is only 60 years or so since the East has been able to free itself from the shackles of colonization and the resultant extreme poverty. Given the burgeoning populations in those parts it will be extremely difficult (but not impossible) to keep pace. The fact is they ARE keeping pace and outsmarting us in our game.
4) It is naive and stupid to think that these resurgent nations will sit idly by the next 1000 years to come up with the next big idea in renewable energy or some such thing. Complacency has been our bane. Remember: the Japs taught us how to make fuel efficient cars. Did we learn? No, we did the creative thing - we built SUVs and Humvees. While we continue to gloat on our 20th century achievements do not be surprized if the next wave of innovations come marked "Originally designed in China". Wonder who, then, will "copy" whom?
-- Lodestone

#2 Parent wolf - 2009-08-03

I don't think it is a secret that the WEST has come up with every viable component of technology during the last 300 years, or so....that is just point number one, reflecting on who has a more viable education system and standard.

Some say, scholars no less, that China was in a period of dormancy during this three hundred years period of absence from technological advancement. This is often the case, even in the West. In fact, again, many scholars contend that there would have been no Renaissance in Europe - Europe had been intellectually dead for several hundred years - had Marco Polo not spent several years in the court of the Great Khan and then returned to Europe with the knowledge that he gained here. Polo, and others that followed him, jump started, if you will, a brain dead western world.. Not until the new ideas from China were introduced into the West did Europe begin a transition from feudal society to a more enlightened way of thinking and begin a new period of life. The beginning of a new world.

In addition, the Chinese have really done NOTHING but copy/steal what has been developed in the West (and Japan), in terms of global technology.

Others would say 'improve upon existing knowledge' or 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.'

Furthermore........the Chinese (along with Koreans) are NTO to be trusted. They don't have any idea what integrity is, much less have a clue about how to develope strong, honest relationships.

I believe this is the key to your post. You fear Asians generally, and the Chinese specifically. I think we are back at square one - Whiteness, and all its inherent and clandestine evils. Obviously, here I must add a disclaimer or I will be labeled, yet again, as a Chinese 'wannabe' or worse; All whites are not bad. There, happy...?.

Finally...........if people would actually STOP going places like China and Korea (and now Taiwan) to teach English, they might get the hint. Does it occur to anyone here that these people are not interested in English for the sake of "learning a language", but to learn about the culture, history and weaknesses of the West.

Are you still here or have you taken your own advice and returned home?

Did anyone read "The Art of War"?

Now we arrive at the root cause of your psychosis. - Sun Tzu - you find his work to be the quintessential word on the Chinese character and contains the essence of Chinesesness.

#3 Parent eslguy - 2009-08-02

I don't think it is a secret that the WEST has come up with every viable component of technology during the last 300 years, or so....that is just point number one, reflecting on who has a more viable education system and standard.

Furthermore........the Chinese (along with Koreans) are NTO to be trusted. They don't have any idea what integrity is, much less have a clue about how to develope strong, honest relationships.

Finally...........if people would actually STOP going places like China and Korea (and now Taiwan) to teach English, they might get the hint. Does it occur to anyone here that these people are not interested in English for the sake of "learning a language", but to learn about the culture, history and weaknesses of the West.

Did anyone read "The Art of War"?

eslguy

#4 Parent WOLF TOTEM - 2009-08-02

Cultural sensitivity is a two way street, but it seems, to me, many Chinese only walk one way. We FT's must be 'sensitive' but they can do as they please. But thats the Chinese culture so we have to accept it? BS !

NO. Cultural sensitivity is NOT a two way street. YOU are the interloper. International social etiquette requires that YOU bear the burden of informing and educating yourself about the customs and culture of your host. It's this simple.

Racist, arrogant, selfish, ignorant people populate this country and are positively encouraged by many here. Both Chinese and non Chinese.

As Nixon said, 'let me say this about that' - Nearly every example cited by you involves education, or lack thereof. Surely, you do not equate a Chinese education, even a college education if obtained within China, by an individual who has never left his country, to a Western education. High school students in the West, in my opinion, are much more sophisticated than most Chinese, even those who possess a sheepskin. A Western education is vastly superior, in terms of 'worldliness' and an ability to function within that world, to a Chinese education. Anyone in America or Western Europe comes in contact with, almost on a daily basis, persons uniquely different from themselves, individuals of different colors, educational backgrounds, etc.....they sit next to them in school, eat with them in the company cafeteria, etc... One cannot compare the two - apples and oranges.

Again, refer to OP, your attitude, in light of reasonable explanations to the reasons for such behavior reeks of white superiority. A superior attitude instilled in you by decades of inaccurate and misleading information; force fed to you by the western media.

Until you are able to face your own shortcomings; you will always view Chinese as inferior.

#5 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-08-02

And that's the problem with you and all of the other apologists here isn't it? When people tell the truth about what really happens in China they are called 'China bashers'.
PATHETIC !

#6 Parent WOLF TOTEM - 2009-08-02

I think we can all agree that the China Daily newspaper is a mouthpiece for the Chinese Govt. Yes?
And that all stories and views expressed in that publication have been censored and accepted by them. Yes?
Have you ever read the forum of the China Daily?
Take a look at the disgusting racist attitudes that they allow to be published there. Not anti Chinese racism but every other form of disgusting filth that you can imagine.
If the Chinese Govt. allow these views to be published I can only assume it is national policy and actually encouraged.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is, to me, a fool or worse.

Yet another great, but off topic post by my favorite China Basher. Big Apple Bob is number two.

Now, take the time to tell me what the China Daily has to do with the backgrounds of western authors of periodicals and books, and the western media, forming and shaping opinions of China with their own life experiences, lies, misinformation, and fabricated 'news?'

Please.

Thank you.

#7 Parent eng.teacher - 2009-08-01

I think we can all agree that the China Daily newspaper is a mouthpiece for the Chinese Govt. Yes?
And that all stories and views expressed in that publication have been censored and accepted by them. Yes?
Have you ever read the forum of the China Daily?
Take a look at the disgusting racist attitudes that they allow to be published there. Not anti Chinese racism but every other form of disgusting filth that you can imagine.
If the Chinese Govt. allow these views to be published I can only assume it is national policy and actually encouraged.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is, to me, a fool or worse.

#8 Parent joker - 2009-08-01

Chinese university teacher (Cut).'Helloooo, where come from?'
Me 'England'
Cut, to my friend'Where come from'
'Isreal'
Cut 'you Jewish person?'
Friend 'yes'
Cut ' Why Jewish people kill Arab children?'

Tsingua University teacher to me.
'You will never be accepted here. You are foreigner. Ousider. Laowai'
Me ' And as long as 'educated' Chinese people hold views like that China will never be accepted by the world'
She walked away and has never spoken to me since.

On a bus to Uni. in Nanjing.
Another Cut to another friend.
'Helooo where you come from?'
Friend. 'The USA'
Cut ' America ?! If your President here now I kill him !'

Another Cut to my friend.
'You irish, he English. Why you not kill him for invading your country in 1968?'

T shirt in Chengdu read ' Kill all black babies before they become thieves'

3 year old Chinese teachers kid to me.
'Hello laowai, give me money'

Student to me 'Foriegners brought AIDS to China'

Another student to me ' I don't like negros'

My current director ' We had 2 teachers from Ghana, we didnt like them. They were black.'

During a class about 'what would you like to do?'
Student. ' I would like to kill Japanese!' The rest of the class cheered and aplauded.

Cultural sensitivity is a two way street, but it seems, to me, many Chinese only walk one way. We FT's must be 'sensitive' but they can do as they please. But thats the Chinese culture so we have to accept it? BS !

Racist, arrogant, selfish, ignorant people populate this country and are positively encouraged by many here. Both Chinese and non Chinese.

WOLF TOTEM - 2009-07-31
your 'whitness' is showing - or why I don't like the Chinese

Ever wonder how your ideas and opinions on China were formed and shaped? And here, specifically, I do mean your ideas. I do - quite often. Because, mostly, I adamantly disagree with your views.

Why do hold these views and how did you come by them?

While I am not unmindful of the presence of Black teachers in China, their numbers are still quite small and for the purpose of this post, while whites are a minority of the global population, the 'power base' is still very much a 'white' power base and I've purposely portrayed the world as viewed by whites.

Who is one to believe when it comes to fairness and accuracy in reporting world events? China events. How, during the course of your lifetime, have the media influenced what you believe in?

Many posters to this board continually and unabashedly belittle, berate and vilify China for her racist attitudes and other worldly shortcomings. Unwilling and unable to accept that the Chinese perceived lack of sophistication, education, cultural differences, a spoken and written language created by and for the exclusive use of elitists, the transition from agrarian-feudal society to an industrial society with - unprecedented - breakneck speed, and the inherent tolls exacted, ever witnessed in the course of human history, wealth extracted and lives destroyed by the Imperialists......thousands of years of hunger and abuse, as events that have shaped the Chinese. None is a valid argument in defense of China and the Chinese, so say the Sages of the ESL Teachers Board. Why?

Some posts are merely rants, others are by those who have genuinely had bad experiences in China. Most have simply brought baggage and dirty laundry with them from their home country and are unable to change, or will not attempt to change, their behavior even in the face of facts. Their unwillingness to accept truth carries with it the stench of putridness. A man drowning in a stagnant pool of lymph and vomit. Death by asphyxiation in his own bodily expectorants. Embodied in their arrogance; an arrogance fueled by ignorance, the subjugation of what is right.

Regardless, I would like to address the veracity of the media, especially, the printed word, when reporting on China events. And further, how racist ideas, known or unknown, realized or otherwise, have been incorporated into the literature of our times and therefore unconsciously shaped our views of China and the Chinese. To qualify this even further, I'd like to add that these are views expressed by whites, for consumption by whites, and involves their 'whiteness.'

Literature. Read a good book lately? How many good novels have you read where the central theme and characters are Chinese? I'll give you one. There are others, many, many others but for the sake of time and space, the example of Pearl S. Buck and THE GOOD EARTH will suffice.

Here, excerpts from an eyebrow lifting article; Americana: The Journal of American Popular Culture (1900 - present), Spring 2002, Volume 1, Issue 1

Highlights, for emphasis, are mine.

http://www.americanpopularculture.com/journal/articles/spring_2002/spencer.htm

The Discourse of Whiteness:
Chinese-American History, Pearl S. Buck, and The Good Earth

The opening paragraph; In Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination, Toni Morrison charges that "silence and evasion have historically ruled literary discourse" concerning race (9). Twentieth century literary discourse, rooted in linguistic and textual criticism, according to Henry Louis Gates, "rendered implicit" the idea of race (47). Gates suggests that as literary critics identified the "master" texts of the western tradition, race was overshadowed by discussions of form, structure, and language. Building on the work of Morrison and Gates, many critics have taken on the task of analyzing the implicit nature of race, and more recently, the discourse of whiteness in literature.

Even though whiteness, like all racial categories, is not an objective, self-evident entity, it is privileged in a system in which whiteness is constructed as the standard or norm against which all other racial categories are measured. Despite the subjectivity of racial categorization, non-whites are, as Derrick Bell argues, "marked with the caste of color in a society still determinedly white" (75). Thus, being white is to be non-raced, normal, or neutral, and discussions of race have traditionally applied only to those who are perceived as other than white. Toni Morrison has called scholars to the task of creating a critical reading practice that foregrounds the construction and representation of whiteness in fiction and allows readers to recognize literature's complicity with the discourse of white supremacy. The reading of whiteness into texts that are not explicitly about race is essential if we are to challenge whiteness as racial norm. Pearl S. Buck's novel, The Good Earth, provides an example of a popular text that, while not overtly concerned with racial construction, contains a subtle discourse that must be read critically from the perspective that Morrison suggests. An examination of the position of Chinese immigrants in the United States in the novel's initial publication and Buck's own racial politics provide crucial elements in an analysis of the subtle racial discourse in The Good Earth.

Omissions.

In a conversation after Buck gave a speech to a group in Harlem in 1932, Buck traced her attitudes about race to her childhood experiences living as a minority in China. The racial attitudes of Buck's father, Absalom, had also been shaped by his own childhood. Absalom's family owned at least two slaves and did not seem troubled by the moral dilemma this presented. His family taught him that racial hierarchy is natural, an attitude that would explain his sense of superiority over Chinese people, whom he was determined to save by leading them to a higher way.

Reading The Good Earth in these ways reveals how a novel not overtly concerned with race may contain a subtle discourse that, in fact, says much about racial construction in American culture. Whiteness, as Elizabeth Ellsworth argues, is a dynamic of cultural production and interrelation, of learned social and cultural performances (260). Whiteness is always shifting, always historically framed and situated. And as Martha Mahoney writes, "whiteness, like other racial constructions, is subject to contest and change" (330). "Whiteness," Mahoney continues, "is historically located, malleable, and contingent" (330). Since whiteness is not a real, inherent, natural phenomenon, it must be understood, Rebecca Aarenud argues, as "a highly orchestrated product of culture and nature" (43). She believes that we must recognize whiteness not as a matter of skin color, but as a phenomenon that must be continually reproduced in order to disrupt the belief of whiteness as the status quo, as the norm, as the standard. By analyzing the production of whiteness in The Good Earth, we may disrupt the privileged position of whiteness and, as Morrison suggests, recognize the subtle ways in which the novel is complicit in the discourse of white supremacy.

Got it. Okay, let's turn now to the media. SPECIFICALLY, and recently, The New York Times. Further testament to the death of journalism. There is no 'fair and honest' reporting of the news, only stories shaped by those who wish to make their own news, regardless of the truth. Dan Rather anyone?

New York Times lying, New York Timeslying.
Bring it to light, bring it to light.
Liar! Liar! Liar! Liar!
Dont twist the truth, dont twist the truth.

http://www.anti-cnn.com/forum/cn/thread-182522-1-1.html

Read this China GEEKS blog article;

http://sun-zoo.com/chinageeks/2009/07/27/the-new-york-times-enrages-netizens/

The New York Times Enrages Netizens
Jul 27th, 2009 by C. Custer

For example, the New York Times ran this photo with the caption: Uighurs injured at a hospital in the city during a media tour by the authorities on Monday. When Anti-CNN netizens noticed the name tag (as well as the mans face) clearly indicate that he is of Han ethnicity, they contacted Reuters, where a photo editor explained that the original caption of the photo was People who were injured during riots in Urumqi, rest in a hospital in the city during an official government tour for the media and further noted that ReUTERS that Reuters cannot control whether clients change their photo captions.

Omissions

What was originally reported as a Uighur riot by the AFP was changed to a clash between rioters and police in the New York Times. Other examples in the thread do indicate that the Times appears to have been rewriting captions to play up the police vs. Muslims angle, and to play down the Muslim-rioters-killed-lots-of-innocent-people angle.

Continued?

In conclusion, it seems to me that those of you who have had nothing but negative experiences in China can blame it on one thing - while here you view(ed) her inhabitants as Chinese - I see them as people.

What say ye?

Return to Index › your 'whitness' is showing - or why I don't like the Chinese

Go to another board -