TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › age limit in china
#1 Parent HireEd - 2009-08-15
Re: age limit in china

Yeah, groucho, it was hard for me to leave China as well. I loved so many things about living there, but I could never find an ESL employment situation I could endure long-term (and I was rapidly reaching the cut-off age). I think private school ESL employers prefer younger, less experienced expat teachers because they tend to be less opinionated (probably from not having been a teacher back home).

I miss China a lot -- friends/students, food, basic insanity -- but not ESL employers!

Good luck with your future endeavors!

#2 Parent groucho - 2009-08-15

hahahah, yes it is a money making machines. they want the young gun who gets drunk on weekend then they call the old man to replace him. i love it. thanks nobody. really love your honesty.
bye bye china here i come usa. i am done cooked and over cooked.
what the government is doing about it? nothing.
but this is china. love china hate to leave, but!!!!!!!??????? have too.

#3 Parent HireEd - 2009-08-15

Not trying to argue with you, groucho, but schools/employers in China make their own rules, all the time. Business as usual.

With regards to age limits, just because "on the books" it might say age 60 is the limit, it ceratinly doesn;t mean that a school will hire someone who is 58, 59, or 60; especially in such a current competitive int'l job market.

ESL employers in China understand that age often means experience and dedication, but their far greater concern is potential health costs, absenteeism, and lesser stamina from older teachers. After all, just like verything else, China has turned English teaching into just a another form of factory work.

groucho - 2009-08-15
age limit in china

according to most schools,colleges and university is 60.
safea states is 72?
can those institution make there own rules?.

Return to Index › age limit in china

Go to another board -