TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Subsidised Vacations
#1 Parent tatsuospirit - 2009-09-09
Re: Subsidised Vacations

Thanks for the verification. I have seen photos of the Three Gorges and have unfortunately missed the opportunity to see this natural wonder in person.

#2 Parent The Three Gorges of the Yangtze River - 2009-09-08

One of the subsidised vacations that was organized by Shanxi province way back in 1994 was a voyage by riverboat along the section of the Yangtze that included the three gorges. Sadly, they are now submerged due to the river having been dammed. While talking about the river, it's worth mentioning that tragically the Yangtze dolphin and the Yangtze porpoise are most probably extinct species by now, and that the Yangtze sturgeon is endangered due to water pollution and damming of the river.

#3 Parent tatsuospirit - 2009-09-08

Hello,
The last time I read anything about the Three Gorges, they were destined to be eliminated because of the huge dam being built.
Supposedly the Chinese government moved over 250,000 people before flooding the Three Gorges.
Perhaps someone has more up-to-date information?

The Three Gorges of the Yangtze River - 2009-09-07
Subsidised Vacations

In the early 90's of the 20th century, the Department of
Education of Shanxi province of China organized a week's subsidised vacation for its FT's and their School Waiban. It took place during the National Week Holidays, commencing on or about October 1st. Unfortunately, that province ceased to do so some years ago. Can anyone enlighten us if there are any Chinese provinces that continue to provide such attractive deals to their FT's and their School Waiban? If so, I'd be eager to teach in one of them to take advantage of that additional perk.

Return to Index › Subsidised Vacations

Go to another board -