TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China: teaching english without degree
#1 Parent Frank - 2006-07-15
Yes, mj! - Teachers Discussion

Yes, mj, you are absolutely right regarding experience and certificates. Please take a look at a recent thread many of us "regulars" engaged in regarding TEFL certificates, and their perceived merits and guarantees (or lack of). I think the opening post is called "TEFL certificates." there are about 6-8 postings in the thread. Thanks for your support here, and on the "School review" page.

#2 Parent mj - 2006-07-14
esl qualifications - Teachers Discussion *Link*

patrick, i definitely agree with frank there are still lots of schools who hire native speakers who hire non degree holder, as long as u are a native speaker! but yep beware of those schools who would take advantage of that.

but frank, isn't it that experience counts most? i mean, there is a big possibility that there are fake certificates and even diplomas...i mean, it happens!

#3 Parent Frank - 2006-07-14
Here's one for ya... - Teachers Discussion

Patrick, Here's one for ya...
From the ESL Jobs in China postings (to read the complete posting, visit the jobs page):

Top Gov Shools, BA is NOT must. - English job offered *Link*

Posted By: Star Education <liliyun78@163.com>
Date: 14 July 2006

Star Education in the province of Jilin north of China with Changchun as its capital are offering English language educators to share and impart their skills to eager students. Positions on offer are to teach English to students aged between 5 and 16 who are learning English full-time in their branches in government schools throughout Jilin or to part-time students in their private language schools in Changchun. The commitment expected from you is 5 to 6 days a week, no more than 85 teaching hours per month. Curriculum and teaching material will be provided.

Depending on your qualification, you could be earning between 4000 to 5000 RMB per month with overtime compensation. Work visa will be sponsored before you depart for China and accident and health cover will be offered to you. Modern western accommodation facilities will be supplied. Airfare to the amount of 7000 RMB will be reimbursed immediately upon completion of your one-year contract. You DO NOT need to have a tertiary qualified degree or a TESOL certificate to secure these positions. We want Native English Speakers who has enthusiasm in teaching English to Chinese learners.

----

Be wise, be careful, "Be happy everyday!" Good luck!

#4 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-14
This is a Prank

In Response To: I am also looking for companys that hire teachers without a degree . - Teachers Discussion (patrick)

This is a joke. He's having you on.

No one who writes "companys" or "colledge" would ever try to get jobs teaching English.

Would they?

#5 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-14
This, is a Prank

In Response To: I am also looking for companys that hire teachers without a degree . - Teachers Discussion (patrick)

No one who writes "companys" or "colledge" would ever try to get jobs teaching English.

Would they?

#6 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-14
This is a Prank

Would they?

#7 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-14
This is a Prank - Teachers Discussion

Would they?

#8 Parent Frank - 2006-07-14
Possible scenarios... - Teachers Discussion

Patrick,

I'm not sure what other forum posters will say or advise you to do, but my feeling is that it will be difficult to identify such schools outright. This comment is not meant personally in any way, and I hope not to offend you, but it depends on their level of desperation.

What I mean by that is they will first try to hire a teacher with a degree(s), with teaching experience (in home country or China), with various certificates, etc., and if they come up empty-handed they will open the door to those without these credentials.

Just know that your lack of degree also opens the door for much tougher negotiation. They will offer you the smallest salary possible (and remember even the "high" salaries are not high). They will likely tell you they are concerned about your lack of experience, etc., in order to make it look like they are doing YOU a favor by hiring you. Be very careful, because the lack of a degree greatly diminishes your leverage and options and increases your vulnerability.

Scour the job postings on this and other ESL websites (again with great skepticism) and you will probably find schools who will consider you. We are in a period of hiring mania, which will subside in late August. The closer it gets to September 1, and the school finds itself without a foreign teacher (or foreign face), the greater your chances are of a placement.

You could get lucky, but you could likely get handed a 6-12 month nightmare. Ask LOTS of questions of anyone willing to hire you. The vague elements in the contract (and there are plenty of them) are the ones that will blow up in your face later. There's lots of landmines about.

They will likely try to make you pay for all the costs associated with your visa, offer less travel reimbursements, etc. I'm not sure of all the ways they might possibly try to exploit your situation.
Keep in mind that they're under pressure to hire someone, but they won't let you see that.

Be sure to read the School Reviews page on this website.

What do others have to say??? Agree or disagree with my projections?

#9 Parent patrick - 2006-07-13
I am also looking for companys that hire teachers without a degree . - Teachers Discussion

If anyone can either email me some companys or emails or #'s for companys that do not require a colledge or university degree please i beg you let me know. thank you. oh i dont look like a model either .....

#10 Parent writpetition - 2005-02-26
Poignant!

Poignant!

Hey Chinese Employer, don't let them browbeat you.

#11 Parent Burakumin - 2005-02-25
Hey, Knucklehead

give it a rest.

#12 Parent Chinese Employer - 2005-02-25
No Problem

Are you White?
Do you have blue or green eye?
Do you have blonde hair
Are you over 5ft 5in tall?

As long as your answers is yes to all the above you ARE qualified.

1)We can offer 3000-4000 per month. 2000rmb traveling expenses per year. Return economy air fare. Free housing(3star hotel), water, power, gas(your expense), internet, telephone(your expense)
Teaching only 20 hours.

2)No tefl cert required.

It will be more better if you long and beautiful legs have, a beautiful face and looking like some Hollywood female stars we can offer

4000-5000 per month. Return first-class airfare plus 3000rmb traveling expenses per year. Free medical insurance and treatment. Free food, housing(5star hotel), water, power, internet and telephone(local and international are free). Teaching will not be more than 16 hours per week.

3)It will be more and more better and better if you looking like Pamela Anderson / Julia Roberts or very much like a Miss world/Miss Universe.

We can discussing terms. We can also arranging private jet to bringing you here.

All applicants had better send in your resume /photo and first page of passport. For post 3, you'd better send a video of yourself.

#13 Parent writpetition - 2005-02-25
Try EF, Hangzhou

There was a post on Dave's eslcafe by one called Passion in Teaching, a former DoS at English First, Hangzhou this morning (since removed for some reson) that EF, Hangzhou hired English teacher/s without degrees and also arranged fake degrees for one of them. When the DoS reportedly opposed the move, he was the one that got the flak/fire.

They might be a good bet. Perhaps, you can try there.

Best wishes

Hanna - 2005-02-25
China: teaching english without degree

Hello everybody, I would like to teach english in China, but I don't have a degree in college. (But I have a TEFL certificate). Could you tell me if there are any possiblities and opportunities to teach english without having a degree?

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:28 AM]

Return to Index › China: teaching english without degree

Go to another board -