TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Whazup with the jobs?
#1 Parent Teacharian - 2009-12-20
Re: Whazup with the jobs?

If you're into training centres, the jobs detailed in the link below may interest you. Typical TC jobs, beware, not suitable for laowai seeking a sinecure nor for laowai who like lots of free time to pursue their favorite avenues in life! So, I'll not bother applying.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/intl/index.pl?read=16944

#2 Parent englishgibson - 2009-12-20

well, it looks like there're many schools looking for teachers, although they've got some difficulties explaining what their actual academic programs are. some private schools want you to tailor make lessons which'll make you the actual "writer" that does not get paid (for writing) and some schools offer your copies of some materials they've gathered from others before. then, there're schools/centers relactant to tell you what they've got in a sense of academic product as if they had some hot cakes in their offices there...what they often have is a pasted and copied version of something they don't actually know. for job seekers for teaching posts, it sucks when they are in front of their decisions to sign up with the place without knowing what they'll have to do through out their demanding one year agreement with employers that know little about teaching english.

cheers and beers to the job postings that offer so much in a sense of duties we'll have to carry out in our classrooms on mainland

#3 Parent Teacharian - 2009-11-26

This job is probably suitable for you, isn't it? Click the link for the nitty gritty.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/China/index.pl?read=138872

englishgibson - 2009-11-25
Whazup with the jobs?

Forgive me, but I can't find a teaching job with just a half reasonable school/center and a contract. In 2002, there were loads of teaching jobs out there in China and contractual agreements were also much more negotiable than today. Not only that contracts are tough to negotiate now, but also many of them contradict mainland's labor laws. And, again forgive me recruiters, but there are so many of you out there today and so few direct contacts. One one hand you might eliminate the misunderstanding in between the applicant and employer as for the language or cultural differences, but you ask for a way too much in a sense of the applicant's documentation.

Here this job on daves now is a stand out

Web International English (Shanghai)

Job Summary *
To teach at Web International English is interesting, challenging and rewarding.
We are looking for those who enjoy living in Shanghai and like to develop into a professional ESL teacher.

Job Description *
The teaching method Webi adopts is a combination of advanced multimedia learning courseware, ESL classes and diversified extra curricula activities.
25 contact hours and 15 office hours per week. Available to teach in the evenings and at weekend.
Our students are adults over 17 years old who are eager to learn and improve in English.

We offer *
Induction training
On-the-job training and workshops
Competitive salary
17 days paid holidays
Flight allowance
Substantial housing allowance
Residence permit
Free Chinese classes

Isn't this slap in the face for the city of Shanghai? Teaching so many REAL HOURS will surely provide you with "rewards and challenges" as for the preparation for your classes. Their lame before tax 8,000 that's sooo competitive comes with "substantial" 4,000 housing allowance which you may all as well pass on directly to the landlord in Shanghai, and I am not even talking about deposits etc.
Now, I applied and after I got a reply I asked for more as I said I was experienced. And they raised their offer from 8,000 to 13,000 ...for 30 weekly hours of teaching. I wouldn't lose my job over some complaining students that I am tired, would I? :)

Looks like the warm welcome that we've got a decade ago has pretty well cooled down, or frozen completely, hasn't it? Is the supply of foreign teachers on mainland really so high that the demand dictates the pace, or is it that the internet has wide opened the window of opportunities to the local employers? Well, I am glad to have posted this message as my computer also has the internet access.

Cheers and beers to all teachers that will not sell themselves short, although I am getting really short on any reasonable offers
Matt
Return to Index › Whazup with the jobs?

Go to another board -