TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › English Language Education and UK,USA, CDN, AUS
englishgibson - 2009-12-03
English Language Education and UK,USA, CDN, AUS

Working in education has become a hell for me as I am in China fighting for my rights and professional freedom. As I have experienced scores of poorly educated although rich locals attempting to do virtually anything to get to western higher educational institutions for varieties of their own reasons, I am not surprised coming across this article with such news from the UK. (out of tefl site)

The UK Government is on the threshold of destroying one of its strongest export industries, the English language teaching sector, worth billions of pounds annually to the UK in visible and invisible exports.
Tier 4 of The PBS, launched in April, brought sweeping changes to the international education sector. The governments aim was to rid the UK of bogus colleges, which were not just a security threat but also a blot on the UK's unassailable reputation in education. This work has not been completed.
A further aim was to streamline the issuing of study visas. Some changes were welcome, others serve only to turn bona fide students away from the UK. The government now aims to further restrict international students from studying in the UK. That will devastate this vibrant and highly professional industry, leading to mass redundancies in language schools, secondary schools, colleges & universities, with huge losses to the economy and Treasury.
The English language is a crown Jewel - let's protect and nurture it
Not that I want to lose my opportunities for work, but enough is enough and something has to be done. Yes, I agree with the decision so much after having seen such a tragic trend on mainland. And, I bet the Liverpool Uni murders might as well have to do with this.
Now, are other countries going to follow or not???

Cheers and beers to the biggest receiver of foreign students THE WHITE HOUSE that hopefully will follow

Return to Index › English Language Education and UK,USA, CDN, AUS

Go to another board -