TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Guilin vs. Luizhou
#1 Parent Turino - 2010-01-05
Re: Guilin vs. Luizhou

One of the most-visited Chinese cities, Guilin (pop. 630,000), located in the northeastern part of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, has long been famous for its limestone karst hills. Formed more than 200 million years ago when the oceans receded from this area, the towers sprout from a patchwork of paddy fields and flowing streams, creating a dreamy, seductive landscape that leaves few souls unstirred. Time and space meet here to produce a masterpiece of nature's handiwork. Though there are a few hills in the city that can be explored, and the Li River cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo remains one of top river journeys in the world, Guilin is also being used as a base to visit the Yao, Miao, and Dong minority villages to the northwest. Unfortunately, the cost of Guilin's overwhelming popularity is a degree of unrelenting exploitation and extortion audacious even by Chinese standards; foreigners are overcharged for everything.

It seems that Guilin is on a par with Yangshuo re the exploitation of louwai in China!I'll add Guilin to Yangshuo,both places tourist haunts to be avoided by myself,a non-tourist with limited financial resources.

#2 Parent Spanky - 2010-01-05

Dunno anything about Luizhou. I personally thought the cost of living in Guilin was much better than nearby Yangshuo, but it's difficult to find a properly paying job there due to the large number of Western tourists willing to work for peanuts there. I'd take a decent offer in Guilin if I found it, but thus far have been unable to. Yangshuo, on the other hand, is absurdly overpriced and the Buckland brothers virtually monopolize the ESL industry there. In Yangshuo the supply of native English speakers far outweighs the demand (the town itself has been referred to as the world's largest English corner), so your chances of getting a good deal there are slim to none.

#3 Parent Monitor - 2010-01-04

I spotted some negative comments re Guilin on the web not too long ago. According to some, it's expensive to live there as it's a tourist trap, not my cup of tea at all! So, I turned down an above-average job offer from a college there. As for Luizhou, never 'eard of it!

Kurt - 2010-01-04
Guilin vs. Luizhou

Greetings and a Happy New Year to all. I've always had at least one response to my questions and I appreciate this very much. I am enterainig near identical offers in these two cities so...does anybody have any experience living in these places? All pros and cons are welcome.

Return to Index › Guilin vs. Luizhou

Go to another board -