TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › contract negotiations
#1 Parent englishgibson - 2010-01-14
Re: contract negotiations

John, the employment contract secrecy has been quite common around recently. SAFEA's contract is often different than the actual employer's one which proves this country's system is just ridiculous. Whatever they set up they later compromise themselves on purpose and usually for their own good. My view is that the SAFEA has been set up symbolically only. Many foreign expert offices serve employers mostly and if you raise an issue with an FE office, you might find yourself cornered by three different sides, the PSB, the employer and the Foreign Expert's authority that's bias as hell. Why would they serve you? To them it's not profitable, is it?

Anyway, any secrecy at work opens the door to abuse, doesn't it?

Cheers and beers to packing and going home rather than staying around and helping these unscrupulous local authorities and their licenced sharks that invite us to only dance to their own tunes

John - 2010-01-13
contract negotiations

I'm a foreign language teacher in China. My colleague who is also American, has been in contract negotiations since January 9th, has not been working because of this.
My contract expires soon as well on March 1st but school will be out soon for the chinese new year for about 30-40 days.
I would like several things in my contract such as a raise between 1000-2000 rmb, a bonus after one year that is equal to one month's salary, meidcal benefits and visa fee reimbursement. My colleagues wife does all the negotiating for him, (she is very, very nosy). She offered to show me my colleague's contract but I declined because in my contract it says we should not openly talk about what is in the contract.
What is a good way to negotiate what I want without coming across as a rude person or unhappy. I don't want to get my colleague and his wife involved in this matter but I would like to know a good way to negotiate with the chinese about more benefits in my upcoming contract.
Thank you
John

Return to Index › contract negotiations

Go to another board -