TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: AVOID CUFLI AT ALL COSTS
#1 Parent dude - 2010-01-18
Re: AVOID CUFLI AT ALL COSTS

Call every day 6:30..天天 630 inChongqing..that'll stir some sh$t up for sure!

#2 Parent Upstream Boy - 2010-01-15

Your post illustrates clearly that run-of-the-mill foreign teachers shouldn't expect natural justice in this Asian giant of a country. Although there may well be laws that have been broken, the rule of law can be a major problem - it is often non-existent. Even worse, there are western bosses here in the field of education who will not only turn a blind eye to the corruption, but also willingly participate in it. They are much worse than the dishonest Chinese they are in bed with. It seems to me that one or more of those westerners has stitched you up with a lousy teaching report to try to bring your teaching career here in China to an abrupt end!

#3 Parent englishgibson - 2010-01-15

The Chongqing Police and/or Foreign Experts Bureau are in it with many local schools/centers and I have pointed that out in my warning on the Chongqing Foreign Experts Office a month or so ago.

I have recently had a, to me, tragic experience with the "Sino American International School" that's running a GAC-ACT academic program managed by the OWENS company in Chongqing. My complaints to the Foreign Experts Bureau there did not matter at all as the officer in charge cared about the OWENS owners more that about me. After I'd finally got through to the office, having called a number of times there, I received a, somewhat cold reply from the officer in charge. Never mind his poor English, I was told my complaint was filed, atlhough he was to speak with my employer in person. After he allegedly personally spoke to my employer, he conluded that the matter was inconclusive as it was "too complicating". The officer in charge said that he would invite my 9 students, that were well managed by my employer, too. At no point, the officer was willing to invite me as well. The fact that I had neither, signed the standard SAFEA contract, nor had the authorities check my Foreign Expert or Residency Permit (for work) application at all, indicated that the Chongqing authorities were/are all on one side NO MATTER WHAT. Further stories of foreign teachers that get their paperwork processed in Chongqing, even though they work in another locations of the country only prove my point on that the authorities and employer in that city are on the same boat, called SCUMBAG.

On another note, there was recently a fairly dissatisfied foreign teacher in Chongqing that also filed his complaint against his employer there and NOTHING WAS DONE to help him. Moreover, the "rumor" is that a consulate has complaint to the local authorities as well, but you all can guess how much has been done in that case there too.

OP, if I were you, I would move out of the city there. However, if you are strong enough and've got a really good stomach for getting what you want no matter what. Most importantly, if you have some time and finances to go on for a while, you could file a formal complaint in court against your employer rather than go to these useless offices that are running their little scam all together there. If you seek the legal action against your employer, it is advisable that this is filed in the central government's court rather than the local one. But again if I were you, I wouldn't do it as this is a country where the rule of law does not prevail most of the time, especially with foreigners. To second that, a few years back there was a lawsuit against an EF employer in a case where he/she did not want to pay sick leave to one ft then. Guess who won that case?

China can be a really difficult country if one demands justice and takes it on either his/her employer or the local authorities. This is why many Chinese have been so ignorant. They fear of repercussions later. Chinese employers and/or authorities may be hihgly vindictive. In my recent case from Chongqing, although I officially resigned with a pro letter on one month notice after 6 months of honest work there, my employer decided to drown me in half a pay of my last month's work as well as a negative rap with exactly the office of Foreign Experts Bureau which may soon have some grave consequences for me when my new employer applies for my new Work Permit. Luckily, I have a back door open as I am married to a Chinese national which might qualify me for a spousal L visa no matter what..or at least I hope so as my little son born on mainland would possibly be sorry seeing me depart.

Cheers and beers to the sinking boat with a Chinese flag called THE SCUMBAG EMPLOYERS as soon they'll have nothing but their own chinglish teachers working on their plastic surgeries to improve their Asian looks :)

Return to Index › Re: AVOID CUFLI AT ALL COSTS

Go to another board -