TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Canadian University offends Chinese government
englishgibson - 2010-02-05
Canadian University offends Chinese government

Throughout my experience on mainland, I have always thought that local authorities, employers, and managers were irrational when challenged. Further more, I have seen some really vindictive individuals around which gives me creeps in a way as I feel no constructive criticism would ever work in this country.

Here's the story from Canada

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100204/canada/canada_calgary_calgary_university_chinese_dalai_lama

Academic degrees from the University of Calgary may no longer be recognized in China because that country's government is upset the Dalai Lama was given an honourary degree last December by the university.

Understanding that if China awarded Osama bin Laden with an honorary degree at Peking Uni, it'd stir some sh*t in the White House, I do not get the reasoning behind this one. Doesn't this country realize they've got a sh*t load of of their own students around the world? It's just like an arsonist setting a bridge on fire while standing on it. And, haven't we tried building bridges for past couple decades or so?

Cheers and beers to Canadians that have actually begun recognizing some Chinese degrees there (never mind the poor education these degree holders've got) :)

Return to Index › Canadian University offends Chinese government

Go to another board -