TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Need tips on teaching 15 year old Arab boys
#1 Parent englishgibson - 2010-02-08
Re: Need tips on teaching 15 year old Arab boys

Turnoi is puzzled, although his fingers strike faster than his croc thinks. OP's got it all well written and this in fact is the problem in many nations around the world as many 15 year olds are uneasy to handle.

I wouldn't agree with Turnoi who suggests holding back on your own disciplinary measures as if you are an experienced teacher and your role is to teach English. My tip is to use techniques that are familiar to you from your own educational system and from what you've learnt. Otherwise, these kids won't get the culture of the language they are learning. Therefore, I'd remind the kids of some differences and i'd bring in, both, the positive as well as negative ones in, so that they'd see the west isn't greater. If kids are at lower level of the language, I'd use more pics and if higher i'd use more articles from sites. To make your class more interactive, i'd have the kids hypothesize on what they'd if they were teachers in some examplary situations. I've had higher level classes with kids discussing panishments in schools and they've compared their own experiences to what they learnt from articles that i provided them with. Most of the time it worked for me in Italy, Russia and China.

Cheers and beers to our views on how to handle 15 year old boys

Return to Index › Re: Need tips on teaching 15 year old Arab boys

Go to another board -